Amtrak's Most interesting Mountain Crossings

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MontanaJim

Service Attendant
Im still trying to decide whether I should take the Coast Starlight or the California Zephyr. Ive taken the starlight before and enjoyed it. Ive heard so much about the California Zephyr. Is there one particular point on its route that makes it so great or is it because its full of nonstop gorgeous scenery? How does the Starlight's mountain crossing in the southern Oregon Cascades compare with the Zephyr's mountain crossings?

Also still thinking of giving the Southwest Chief a try. Heard that Raton Pass is incredible. So how does it compare to the Zephyr, Starlight, Empire Builder, etc?

I need to make my bookings for Christmas as soon as possible.

Aloha

Been there done that, When can I do it again. Guess my vote is Starlight, Builder, Chief, Zephyr. In that ordrer by only .1 points apart.

The ride from Glenwood Springs, CO to Denver, CO through the Rocky Mountains along Amtrak's California Zephyr route is arguably one of the most beautiful in the world.

thanks for the info JC collins.

Boy, so many decisions.

I have now been thinking of taking the southwest chief chicago-la, coast starlight to portland, and do the zephyr eastbound from sacramento. I know going on the zephyr eastbound isnt as good as west, because it will be dark by the time i get through the rockies west of Denver. However, id still be able to see the crossing of the sierra nevada and glenwood canyon.

think i should change my plans and take the zephyr westbound and empire builder east? ( i dont want to take the chief eastbound because that would involve a stopover in la, and i dont want to spend money on hotel, etc.

I would pick California Zephyr because you'll ride along the edge of canyon with waters down below. Oregon area is more like a gently slope while the Sierra Nevadas have steep slope. Plus, you'll see some snow ski resorts in CA and CO areas. Winter Park Resort is a next door and just before the Moffet Tunnel.

Meanwhile, the battle of Amtrak budget is very serious, so I recommend to take CA Zephyr. Who knows?

SW Chief is pretty good. It's very friendly with BNSF and one of the best on-time performance. Some sections will reach 90 mph even though some of them were downgraded to 79 mph due to conditions of tracks. SW Chief is my "home" train due to location where I live.

thanks gswager. so will i miss the best part on the eastbound zephyr? according to the schedule, i should definitely see the glenwood canyon in daylight, and if the train is close to on time, some of the rocky mountains.

im leaning on taking the chief west because i can connect with the starlight in la and see the ocean too. Guess ill decide within a day or two.

has the chief been late into LA by more than two hours anytime in the past month or two? Id have to make my connection to the starlight in LA.

MontanaJim said:
has the chief been late into LA by more than two hours anytime in the past month or two? Id have to make my connection to the starlight in LA.
The Southwest Chief is only very rarely late enough to miss the connection to the Coast Starlate at Los Angeles. It is a safe connection that I have easily made many times myself. Usually the SW Chief arrives into Los Angeles 45 minutes to one hour early.

Back