Another Brunswick ME to Warwick RI Trip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On Friday we set our on this trip, leaving our son's house in Lewiston a little later than on past trips which was almost our undoing, given that we got to the station 5 minutes before departure. Fortunately the parking machine at the lot was broken so that saved time fumbling with that so we made train 682 to Boston and settled in to our comfortable business class seats a little out of breath.

The Downeaster trip was uneventful other than me knocking over and spilling my free coffee all over the seat, fortunately I was able to clean it up and get another free one at the cafe. Attendant was friendly and cheerful as I have generally found on the DE.

Trip was on time until we got to Boston and the usual delay just outside North Station presumably waiting for a track. Final arrival about 5 min late, no problem as we had over an hour and a half to make our connection to South Station. The train took the route via Reading again, missing the Woburn stop. I guess the trackwork or whatever on the Lowell Line is still ongoing.

MBTA Green Line currently suspended for a few days due to work to eliminate slow zones, so we took the Orange Line to Downtown Crossing to catch the Red Line to South Station.

PXL_20240105_155412384.jpg
Orange Line new CRRC train at North Station.

At South Station we had an incident that could have been worse had it not been for the intervention of a kind stranger. We were on the escalator from the Red Line platform up to the mezzanine. The escalator was narrow and my wife trying to get her suitcase on the step lost her balance and started to fall backward. A young man behind her caught her and kept her from hurting herself then helped her off the escalator. I was ahead of her on the escalator so not in a position to do anything. We were so grateful for this act by this young man, from his accent most likely an immigrant new to this country. We were able to find an elevator for the final leg up to the South Station concourse.

As I was waiting while my wife used the Ladies Room I noticed this display they had at the information booth.
PXL_20240105_161551419.jpg

We had a bit of a wait for our 12:20 train to Wickford/ TF Green Airport. Since we had plenty of time I went and bought round trip tickets the old fashioned way at the MBTA ticket window.

MBTA trip was uneventful. We got the upper level of one of the bilevel cars (with me carrying both suitcases up the steps this time). Trip arrived at the TF Green stop on time. From there we walked to the Hyatt which is right next to the station and parking garage for the airport. We will be here for about a week and a half helping out while my other son has hip surgery.

On Friday we set our on this trip, leaving our son's house in Lewiston a little later than on past trips which was almost our undoing, given that we got to the station 5 minutes before departure. Fortunately the parking machine at the lot was broken so that saved time fumbling with that so we made train 682 to Boston and settled in to our comfortable business class seats a little out of breath.

The Downeaster trip was uneventful other than me knocking over and spilling my free coffee all over the seat, fortunately I was able to clean it up and get another free one at the cafe. Attendant was friendly and cheerful as I have generally found on the DE.

Trip was on time until we got to Boston and the usual delay just outside North Station presumably waiting for a track. Final arrival about 5 min late, no problem as we had over an hour and a half to make our connection to South Station. The train took the route via Reading again, missing the Woburn stop. I guess the trackwork or whatever on the Lowell Line is still ongoing.

MBTA Green Line currently suspended for a few days due to work to eliminate slow zones, so we took the Orange Line to Downtown Crossing to catch the Red Line to South Station.

View attachment 35310
Orange Line new CRRC train at North Station.

At South Station we had an incident that could have been worse had it not been for the intervention of a kind stranger. We were on the escalator from the Red Line platform up to the mezzanine. The escalator was narrow and my wife trying to get her suitcase on the step lost her balance and started to fall backward. A young man behind her caught her and kept her from hurting herself then helped her off the escalator. I was ahead of her on the escalator so not in a position to do anything. We were so grateful for this act by this young man, from his accent most likely an immigrant new to this country. We were able to find an elevator for the final leg up to the South Station concourse.

As I was waiting while my wife used the Ladies Room I noticed this display they had at the information booth.
View attachment 35309

We had a bit of a wait for our 12:20 train to Wickford/ TF Green Airport. Since we had plenty of time I went and bought round trip tickets the old fashioned way at the MBTA ticket window.

MBTA trip was uneventful. We got the upper level of one of the bilevel cars (with me carrying both suitcases up the steps this time). Trip arrived at the TF Green stop on time. From there we walked to the Hyatt which is right next to the station and parking garage for the airport. We will be here for about a week and a half helping out while my other son has hip surgery.
I’m glad you had a good trip and that your wife was saved from a bad accident—I think there are more kind people around than we realize—in the right place at the right time to help out—we just don’t hear about them.

I can relate to the coffee spilling—although my specialty is dropping full cups in hotels.😁

Best of luck to your son — wishing him the best for surgery and recovery.

You and your wife are wonderful parents—I’m glad you get nice train trips before and after helping out.😊

View attachment 35309
That's an unusual way to show which trains are on which tracks...looks like they just mirrored the one used in the tower, rather than a more passenger-oriented version...

That display is for employees sitting in the information booth, but anyone can see it by going behind it where the water fountains and restrooms are.
Yes I forgot to note that the display is facing inward towards the people in the booth and normally the public wouldn't see it unless you happened to be standing near the Ladies room entrance.

The display fascinated me as I play around with the Train Dispatcher simulation a lot. Maybe I'll have to do South Station sometime.

Just got back from our trip. Well things didn't go totally according to plan. First I came down with the flu and so did my wife so we ended up quarantining in the hotel for a few days. I did get some train watching in as the room had a good view of the NEC so it wasn't a total loss. I was well enough to pick up my son from the hospital after surgery and towards the end of the week we were able to help out. I also replaced a paddle fan in their living room,

Today Tuesday was our return trip, a repeat of our previous trip, taking MBTA train 814 from the TF Green station to Boston. This time to minimize changes in the subway, we decided to get off at Back Bay and get directly onto the Orange Line to North Station. That would have worked great except when we got to BBY we found the Orange Line was shut down due to a power problem and we were directed to an overcrowded shuttle bus. Fortunately we had lots of time before our train so made it to North Station with a half hour to spare

Train 683 to Brunswick was called at 11:40 and we boarded and found plenty of seats in the business class section. Train left on time but immediately came to a halt, started and stopped a few times, appeared to be congestion exiting North Station. So we lost about 10 minutes right off the bat, but did not lose any more time after that, arriving in Brunswick only 10 minutes late. Crew was friendly especially the cafe attendant. There was light snow the whole way and when we got to Brunswick our car was snow covered but it was only an inch and quickly cleared off. Drive back to Lewiston was slow as roads were still somewhat snow covered but just took it slow.

All in all a good trip train wise, Amtrak came through. The Downeaster has been consistently good in my experience so far.

I forgot to mention that the drive to pick up my son at the hospital after his operation involved a trip to Newport where the hospital was located. This required crossing 2 spectacular bridges, the first being the Jamestown Verrazano Bridge that takes you from the mainland to Jamestown which is located on an island in Narragansett Bay, an older arch bridge, then from there to Newport is the Claiborne Pell Newport Bridge a much larger suspension bridge which also had a toll, payable by EZ Pass. The view from the center of the Pell Bridge was spectacular like being on a plane. I seem to recall being in this area many years ago and I think at that time the bridge to Jamestown existed but you had to take a ferry to get to Newport, at least from the Providence area.

As I recall Senator Claiborne Pell whom the bridge is named after, was a supporter of Amtrak and may have helped get funding for the NEC improvements and electrification NYC to Boston?

Back