Another F40 Gets Saved

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Viewliner

Engineer
OLD LOCOMOTIVE GETS NEW LOOK AND LIFERare restoration of an engine that powered people across the nation  

WASHINGTON — It’s full steam ahead for plans to restore and display one of the F-40PH diesel locomotives instrumental to Amtrak’s survival through the 1980s and early 1990s.  At the direction of Amtrak’s president and CEO David L. Gunn and the company’s Board of Directors, the State of North Carolina has received a retired F-40PH for its Transportation Museum in Spencer.

As part of the donation, CSX and Norfolk Southern moved locomotive #307 free of charge from Amtrak’s Beech Grove, Ind. maintenance facility to the museum’s Back Shop Hall, where it will be restored and eventually put on display.
For the rest of the story, click here.

Its good to know that we have several of these preserved, as we're preserving a key piece in Amtrak history. Too bad more couldn't have been done for the E-60's.

Well I think one of the reasons so many F-40's are being saved is that they were an instrumental part of the fleet visible nationwide (except for about 200 route miles in the Northeast). The E-60's were only visible between Washington-New Haven in their prime, and for much of their life only on long distance trains. So that's my reasoning for why the F-40's are being saved.

Found this nice picture on Railpictures.net

1077930937484_amtrak307.jpg

Wonder if that unit was a in service with NS and a regular on the NCDOT line that NS operates. This may call for ann ARROW investigation. :D

Viewliner said:
Too bad more couldn't have been done for the E-60's.
Well I know of at least one E60 that was saved and is headed for a museum.

It's too late for me to look it up now, but I'll try and post more tomorrow when I get to Chicago. But I've got an early morning wake-up call for the Ann Rutledge tomorrow in KCY. :)

PRR 60 said:
Former Amtrak E60 #603 is at the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania. More info HERE.
Thanks, PRR60. :)

I knew that it was some where in PA, but just didn't have time to go looking and couldn't recall where I had seen the original story/posting about 603 being saved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back