Another last minute question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Taking #91 to Orlando, heard that some trains have power outlets at the seat, does this one? If they do what type of plug 120 vlot or 12 volt?

Thanks

There's no fixed schedule for cars, they just go all over the US, depending on availability.

So, you'll never know which cars. Some coach cars has outlets, probably 3 or 4. You'll have to find it. You might want to find it in lounge/sightseer area, too.

If you're taking sleeper class, then every room has an outlet.

However, there will be surge of power, so I strongly recommend to bring surge protector. The volts are 120.

gswager is correct. Most trains are mixed consists, some rebuilt cars with the outlets, others with only two (in the unrebuilt an outlet is at Seat 19). Lounges are set up similarly. Most Silver Service trains have rebuilt lounges (with the smoking room) where there are at least two outlets per table. But, recently some of the unrebuilt lounges have made it into the rotation, these only have two outlets in the car. So it's a toss up! :lol:

battalion51 said:
gswager is correct. Most trains are mixed consists, some rebuilt cars with the outlets, others with only two (in the unrebuilt an outlet is at Seat 19). Lounges are set up similarly. Most Silver Service trains have rebuilt lounges (with the smoking room) where there are at least two outlets per table. But, recently some of the unrebuilt lounges have made it into the rotation, these only have two outlets in the car. So it's a toss up! :lol:
Yeah, I had an unrebuilt one on 98. I actually like them more now that there's no smoking when there is one, just extra seating. :rolleyes:

Just a PITA for the crew who has to put up with smokers getting off at every single stop for those "precious" puffs. :ph34r:

battalion51 said:
Just a PITA for the crew who has to put up with smokers getting off at every single stop for those "precious" puffs. :ph34r:
My sources tell me that sometime this year, smoking will not be permitted at all on any train, bus, etc. as a federal law apparently goes into effect. I hope I am misinformed! This means no smoking even in the lounges equiped with the smoke room! I hope this is just a bad rumor, but it won't suprise me if it happens. Now I don't smoke, but gee whiz, at least give those who do smoke a place to do so if they are gonna be in a pepsi can for umteen hours! :angry:

From http://www.amtrak.com/plan/smoking.html
Effective April 24, 2004

For the convenience and comfort of all passengers, smoking is prohibited entirely in all areas of Amtrak trains with the exception of Auto Train (52/53), the Crescent (19/20) the Silver Star (91/92), and the Silver Meteor (97/98).

Passengers traveling on one of the above mentioned trains will be directed to an enclosed designated smoking area on-board. This area is provided for cigarette smoking only. If such a car is not on a train due to an equipment substitution, then that entire train is non-smoking.

Smoking Opportunities While Enroute

Where station dwell times and conditions permit, Conductors may use their discretion in allowing passengers to smoke briefly on station platforms. Passengers may smoke on station platforms as announced by train crews and must remain next to the track, ready to re-board immediately upon hearing the sound of the locomotive horn and "All Aboard." Conductors will not hold the train for those passengers that stray too far from the equipment during a station stop.

Other Amtrak Services and Property

In an effort to provide our customers with a consistent experience throughout their journey, Amtrak’s non-smoking policy extends to all Amtrak Thruway Bus Services. No smoking is permitted on any bus service sold in conjunction with an Amtrak rail itinerary.

Amtrak prohibits smoking in all rail stations. The aim is to ensure that all passengers, staff and visitors who need to access Amtrak premises have the right to breath smoke free air.
I don't know if it's a federal law... I think Amtrak is implementing these rules on their own, although federal law does prohibit smoking on any passenger bus so that part is not new.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back