Another one way to Kannapolis

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

VentureForth

Engineer
Last time I plied this journey, I took the Silver Star to Cary then the Peidmont from Cary to Kannapolis. That was my intent this weekend. It's an AGR trip, so that is how I made my reservation. I had to actually change my res 4 times, which drives me crazy but AGR was top notch every single time.

The Star leaves SAV at 1:30 AM. I told the agent Saturday morning and she said OK, Friday night. Sure enough, my rez was for FRI AM. No prob. The fixed it and sent a new email. Then what I was waiting for came in the mail Thursday, so I decided to take the Palmetto instead. This journey is a few minutes faster, but more time on the train. Decided that since it offered BC for the whole route to up my ticket to BC. Only, Wilson to Kannapolis was sold out. Took bc to Wilson, coach to Kannapolis. This morning at 5:15 I looked at Amrrak.com and bc was available the whole way. Got my 4th confirmation and now, I hope, I'm ready to travel! On my way to the Awful Waffle!

Will do. Had an on-time departure, and my ATCS monitor shows no traffic until North Charleston. We're high-balled to Yemassee.

Got a bit of a talking to by the engineer as I was waiting by the BC coach because it was before boarding time. He sent me to the back of the line. Business class today is brought to you by coach #81541. Nicer than average long distance Amfleet II seats. Pitch is good. Not crowded (8 total in my coach - so far). No white head rest linens. Cleaning crew cut corners a bit, it seems.

Netbook plugged into wall. GPS tracking on my phone turned on and plugged into my netbook.

Off to get a free coffee.

Life is good.

Got back from coffee. Only people in the lounge are the crew. Blue shirts, white shirts, looks like a TSA convention.

Into Charleston about 3 minutes early, but left around 6 minutes late. Then as soon as we pull out, we have to stop because they tore up the #1 track just West of the station to do grade crossing work. So, technically we departed 6 minutes late, but had to wait another 4-5 minutes to clear the next 100 yards.

Max pax count in BC today is 22 per the conductor. Been seeing many folks on the platforms. Nice to spread out. Interestingly, I'm no more spread out across two seats with my geekified stuff (netbook, cell phone, scanner) than other folks (laptop, cell phone). For some reason, I'd rather fill out spreadsheets than watch movies... LOL

Interesting radio chatter. Dispatcher called my train to ask the engineer how fast he went through an area... "79, sir," was the confident reply...

Batteries dead on the scanner. You'd think I could remember two fresh AA's. Went to the cafe car. $5 for a PAIR of alkalines! So I guess I won't be eavesdropping for a couple of hours. Maybe I can pick some up in Wilson.

Took the opportunity to talk about the new "comfort pack" offered in lieu of pillows. The CCA said when he came to work yesterday at NYP, he asked for his BC pillows. They said they were done with, and gave him a stock of earbuds. He said he was supposed to get the pillow, blanket, earbuds, eye mask & duffle but only got the ear buds. Then I saw on the menu board that there were no comfort packs available, but earbuds were on the menu - $4.50. He saw that and we both figured that day trains are only going to get earbuds and the comfort packs are only going on the overnight trains. 15 hour train ride and no pillows or blankets for BC or anyone. Will be interesting to see if the Carolinian is the same way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice trip and Love the "Awful Waffle" Joint! The 2 Joes need to go there, let us know how it is! ^_^ And Ive Never gotten offered a Pillow in Business Class on any of the Routes Ive ridden on including #66/#67? Was it just a Lazy Attendant or is this something New??? :help: (i see the potential for lots of complaints about these new "Comfort Kits!" Amtrak is copying the Airtlines for sure! :( )

After arriving in Wilson, I made the following observation. Wilson is a LOUSY place to lay over. More on that in a moment. I don't get some of Amtrak's layover schemes. For instance, if I took this trip via the Silver Star, I would be transferred to the Piedmont in Cary, enjoying nearly a 4 hour layover. Not much to do in Cary. I can buy a separate ticket to Raleigh and back to Cary and spend 3 hours there AND get first seat pick at this origin for the Piedmont. On the other hand, this trip takes me THROUGH Selma-Smithfield and on to Wilson. Instead of a comfortable 2 hour layover in Selma, I have an anxious 1 hour wait in Wilson. They should reverse these - RGH for the Star-Piedmont connection and SEL for the Palmetto-Carolinian. I guess they need to stick with Wilson because of the thru-way motorcoach they have there.

Anyway, Wilson has nothing. It's got a TON of potential, but the depressed economy has certainly taken its toll here. It's right in the center of town - I suppose all the city workers that are employed in the area bring sack lunches, because NOTHING is open. There's a cafe about three blocks away that closes at 2 PM. There is a soul food place in the bus station that doesn't take credit card. I finally found a convenience store right across the tracks from the station that offered a cheeseburger that was similar to that found in the cafe car. Only, it was $2.99. But guess what? His credit card machine was down, causing me to pay $2.25 to use their ATM. Hey - the burger was STILL cheaper, and I got an Arizona tea for 99 cents and batteries for my scanner for $2 rather than $5 onboard...

Jim - the BCA is passing out pillows here like they are candy on Halloween. At 5:30 PM. With only 3 hours left in the schedule.

:cool: Maybe it's just a "Southern Thing" since North Carolina is Rail Friendly? Lots of Small Southern Towns are like Wilson, hard hit by the Recession and the Changing Economy! When Tobacco was Big Wilson was jumping along with Winston-Salem! (I wondered where they came up with the Names for those Cigs! :giggle: )

Amtrak does not permit connections at unstaffed stations, unless the passenger makes his or her own connection via back-to-back tickets and thereby assumes all risks. Selma is unstaffed.

You're right that Wilson is economically depressed. Last time I was there, Worrell's Seafood was good. Just three blocks from the Amtrak station, but not easy to find because of how streets in Wilson are laid out. Personally I would be very reluctant to go too far east of the tracks.

Raleigh is staffed... but you are right about Selma. The convenience store was right across the tracks. I, too, was not to excited to venture further East.

Epilogue: 79 out of Wilson was about 20 min late. Ended up in Kannapolis about 45 minutes late. I finally got a partial answer to my quest to find out why business class is inconsistent. When I went to the cafe car to get a ginger ale, I was told I had to get it from the attendant. When I asked why, she explained that on state sponsored trains they have an attendant with a stocked cart. Non sponsores trains like the Palmetto don't have an attendant and so the cafe person stocks the bc "free" supply.

Oh, and the Carolinian had pilloes in BC AND the comfort kits in the cafe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back