Are heritage coaches still on the adirondak?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The last I heard the state of New York wanted the Heritage Coaches on there because they are much more comfortable than Amfleets and also have better windows for the scenic route. So as far as I know yes. Alan or Viewliner could probably tell you more acurate info though.

thanks, do the heritage coaches have the same interior style as unrebuilt amfleets?(last time i was on these cars, i was 5)

The Adirondack is actually running with ex-Metroliner Amfleet equipment. There Heritage Coaches have been limited to service on Clockers only. Last I knew the Heritage Coaches did sport the same interior as an unrebuilt Amfleet Coach.

Amfleet said:
The Adirondack is actually running with ex-Metroliner Amfleet equipment. There Heritage Coaches have been limited to service on Clockers only. Last I knew the Heritage Coaches did sport the same interior as an unrebuilt Amfleet Coach.
The Heritage coaches have come full circle. They came from the Clockers, but then were assigned to the Adirondack because of their larger windows and the scenic nature of that route. But more of them than needed for Adirondack service were in the pool in Albany, so they began to show up on other Empire Service trains and the Maple Leaf & Ethan Allen Express. More recently, these coaches were removed from Empire Service and replaced with Metroliner coaches made surplus by the Acela Express implementation.

To my knowledge, however, although they were to be reassigned to the Clockers, the Heritage coaches have now been retired. Call it old age, and the inability to get parts for them. Those who commute to work on the Clockers care more about comfort than big windows. While the Amfleet I cars are old, the Heritage coaches were older and more likely to have climate control problems, broken seats, etc.

I saw the Andirondack this past weekend traveling through Hudson, NY and it had all ex-metroliner cars for the consist, no baggage car, looks pretty much like every other Empire Service train out there. The Heritage Cars used to give the train a bit more charactor, you could always tell that it was the Andirondack then.

So I guess that I wont be able to ride on them then.. Is there any hope for them to return to service?

Oh yes there are many Heritage Coaches still running out there, contrary to popular belief. I'll see one in just about every trip I take. They're a little different though, they have no windows, no seats, carpeting, or bathrooms. Just an electrical locker, two really big doors, a vestibule, and a crow bar to open the damn door when it gets stuck (in case anyone hasn't gotten it yet I'm talking about the 1700 series baggage cars). 40 of the Heritage Coaches were converted to Baggage cars a few years back and make regular appearances on long distance trains throughout the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back