Are there ac/dc outlets for computers?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
W

wondering

I was wondering if there are any ac/dc outlets available to charge laptops or use with a portable vcr player?

Those are only available for those about to rock, or those who make money talk

In all seriousness, you may or may not have an outlet at your coach seat, you should have one in your sleeper car. Your chances go up on having an outlet on a single level train, go up more on an Acela Express

If you plan on using a laptop on board, then I highly recommend bringing along a surge protector, as power can fluctuate on board.

As guest mentioned, any sleeper will have an outlet. Coach seating is more iffy, but most single level equipment has outlets at the seats. The refurbished Superliners also have outlets at every seat, but I wouldn't bet on getting one.

Not every coach in the fleet has been retrofited with an outlet at every seat row yet.

AmtrakWPK said:
On Sunset Limited, we always found an available outlet at the (always unmanned) upstairs concession stand in the center of the observation car, by the stairs, and used it to keep our cellphones charged.
Yes, cafe cars are a great place to find outlets.

Even on coaches that don't have an outlet at every seat, there are still outlets around for vacums. So look around and you may get lucky.

On the Superliner coaches, look for the magic seat number 55 - this is usually where the power outlets are hiding. I have yet to have ridden in a "refurbished" superliner coach with power outlets at every seat... are there really any of these running? If so I haven't seen them on the Starlight, Southwest Chief, Sunset Limited, or California Zephyr trains.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back