Around the Country - December Epic part 2 - SPG to SAV via BAL

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lincoln Service from Springfield to CHI was uneventful and pleasant. I admired the wind farms mixed in with the cornfields. We'd had wi-fi on the way down a few days before, but there was none in this train. We'd boarded “on time” and were about 30 minutes late into CHI, no particular excuse except some bad track and a late outbound train that we had to wait for. Nephew and Girlfriend picked us up, and took us out to lunch at an absolutely wonderful Mexican restaurant (overstuffed burritos, home-made sauce, and Mexican hot chocolate to warm us on a cold Chicago day). Then we went to a craft fair and back to the station to board the Capitol Ltd for the next leg of the journey.

The Metropolitan Lounge was pretty crowded when we got there, but several trains left and they put our boarding time back saying the train was not ready. When it was ready, though, it was boarded and departed within a very short time, only 15 minutes late. Our friendly attendant, Darrel, assured us we'd be right on time into WAS and he was correct.

I had the Mahi Mahi for dinner, very good if a tad bit dry. The chocolate parfait was delicious. Dinner was fairly late (we hadn't wanted to eat in the station, so opted for 7pm dinner, and they ended up calling 6:30 and 7 together because of the late departure). I went to bed early, setting my watch back, and setting the alarm so I could get up in time to see all the new countryside by daylight.

Loved the eastern scenery, with snow, bare trees and old farms. Because we'd eaten an early breakfast, we went for the “Express Lunch” as well. Of the three choices available, both of us chose the salad with chicken strips. No dessert, no refills, just eat-and-out so they could clean up. In WAS, we checked into the Acela Club. Even though we would be leaving in coach for the short hop to BAL, we were entitled to use the Acela lounge because we arrived in sleeper. They showed us where to leave our bags while we went for a walk past the Capitol and onto the National Mall.

Wed 9am

Our two nights in Baltimore passed quickly. We stayed at Aunt Rebecca's Bed-and-Breakfast, about as good a location as you can get for train-lovers! It's a 5-minute walk from the station, and right by the free Charm City Circulator Purple Route. We're on the Palmetto for our next leg to Savannah, Georgia. We opted for coach on this section of our trip, because it was $90 extra for Business Class. At least they boarded us by destination, and we drew a coach with more legroom. Coach is pretty full, but the faces are smiling and the conversations are interesting. In the row behind me are two elderly sisters, accompanied by a 70-year-old daughter and going home to celebrate a 95th birthday. Across the aisle is a gentleman who has been in NYC for medical care. We've packed sandwiches for lunch that we bought at a 24-hour deli, and have chips, hummus, sardines, oranges and chocolate for dinner.

Wed 4pm

Just before we got to Richmond, we heard an announcement requesting a doctor or nurse to the second car behind the cafe. When we stopped at the station, an ambulance was already waiting. They took a couple of gurneys up to the coach and, after a long delay, wheeled by our car with a passenger sitting upright, but looking kind of gray about the complexion. Her traveling companion went by on a cart with the luggage, and we departed the station. We're now nearly an hour late, but gaining a little time, and expected into Savannah abut ½ hour late this evening.

Between Fayetteville and Dillon, the conductor warned us they would need every single seat. No one boarded our car (which was already pretty full), but when I walked forward to the cafe car, I found the front coach car was *full* of second graders and they were having FUN! It was a "Santa Express" train for them They had gone from Dillon to Fayetteville, and were on their way back (a parent told me we'd just gone through their home town). There was a lot of happy noise in that car. The kids were practically bouncing off the walls with joy. So happy to see them getting excited to be on the train!

:wub:

We've gained some time, now only 20 minutes late.

Back