ATL - Still Short Staffed?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Cynthia

I'm taking my first trip since having my 6 month old and will now have 2 kids with me, the other being 2 yrs. We're going from ATL to NOL.

Last time I took this route I had a toddler and was 7 months pregnant. My parents who had come to see me off were not allowed to come out to the train to help me board as they had on previous trips. I had to somehow get my child in his stroller across two sets of tracks in the rain! I ended up having to pick up the stroller and carry it across the tracks hoping I wouldn't fall.

No-one offered to help me and I'm really dreading this trip because now I'll have two kids I'll be juggling and still have those tracks to get across.

Does anyone know if Atlanta's situation has improved latelY? (It was last summer that I was there)

Thanks!

Plan for the worse and hope for the best, I guess. I suspect it is no better. Since, when I am there, I do not have your needs, I have not actually noticed. Amtrak has serious budget problems, no doubt you know, and the staff is shorter than it used to be...still is, so far as I know.

For the record, that little station was never meant to be a full-amenity station. It was formelry just a brief suburban stop. As it happend the passenger trains which continued to operate also happened to be ones which used that suburban station as well as one of the downtown stations.

Thus, as rail business decreased, the downtown stations were torn down and that one little suburban stop sort of became the big stop itself.

I know that does not help you with your two babies in the rain, but it at least partially explains a little bit. It is rather bleak, I will admit.

Cynthia,

While I'm not real sure just what they might be able to do for you, Amtrak's timetable does state that anyone needing special assistance should call the 800 number to make arrangements.

Perhaps they might alert the sleeping car attendant to try and help you out or the conductor on the train, or maybe even grant special permission to one of your parents to help you out.

It may amount to nothing, but I would at least try calling and refer them to page 124 of the timetable where it states "Amtrak is committed to making travel accessible ....." Don't be afraid to ask for a supervisor either, if the first person doesn't seem to have a clue.

The number is 1-800-872-7245.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back