Auto-Train advice

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

ScottG.

Just got back from Florida, used the auto train both ways. It was great as always. A bit of advice for travellers to Florida, STAY OFF I-4!! I would strongly suggest Rt-417 around Orlando if you are heading west from Sanford. The north end of 417 drops you off in Sanford, south end in Kissimmee near Disney. Yes it is a toll road and more mileage(about six bucks and about 15 extra miles if I remember right) but I-4 near Orlando is a disaster. Amtrak is warning folks that on some days it takes three to four hours on I-4 from Kissimmee to Sanford. The backup starts even before 417 on most days, but once you get on 417, traffic is not a problem.

Another suggestion if you have some time to kill before boarding in Sanford is a visit to Blue Springs State Park in Orange City. It's about 20 minutes from the Auto-Train right off of Rt.17/92. It is a beautiful spring that you can swim in. There are also Manatees present from November through March. We saw two when we were there last week. It sure beats waiting in the Sanford Auto Train Station. I know Amtrak is trying to replace it with a Lorton type station, which would be a great improvement. But of course when you are stuggling for your existence under Bush......

ScottG

The 417 is definitely the way to get to Sanford. If you are coming from the Turnpike (say from Miami), take the Turnpike to Exit 254 which is SR-528 (the Beeline Expressway), take the Beeline east past the airport to the interchange with 417 (Greenway). If you are coming from points north on the Turnpike take it to SR 408 (East-West Expressway) and then head east to the 417 interchange. Word of warning, plan to travel mid-day during the week as the 408 runs right through downtown and can get clogged up, but you have to be in Sanford by 3 so that's not too much of an issue.

Another project I've heard about that should help folks out (can't find anything on FDOT's crappy website) is that they will be extending SR-429 northeast to Sanford providing a direct link from the Turnpike to Sanford.

battalion51 said:
If you are coming from the Turnpike (say from Miami), take the Turnpike to Exit 254 which is SR-528 (the Beeline Expressway), take the Beeline east past the airport to the interchange with 417 (Greenway).
If I was coming from Miami, I'd save the tolls and go straight up 95 to exit 223 near Mims. Then take route 46 straight across to the Auto Train Terminal.

It's much more direct, and it doesn't cost anything. This is also the way Amtrak recommends you get to the AT from southern east coast Florida cities.

If your on I-4 eastbound in the morning its not bad once your over the St. Johns Bridge (about 5 miles east of Sanford). Also avoid the SR 408 during rush hour especially at the I-4 interchange.

If your comming from the tpa or kissimme you can take 417 directly to sandford or as Battalion said take 528 to 417. 417 from my experience has very light traffic but will cost you about $5 in tolls forabout 50 miles. Taking 528 will save you a dollar.

I-4 during off hours(midday, early afternoon) has moderate traffic so no worry as long as you leave at the right time. I would not reccommend taking 17-92 from the south to sanford. There are alot of lights and its not particually fast.

Also, Bat the state is planning on creating a beltway, hook 429 into 417 creating a loop around orlando.

Back