Baggage ?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

Judy

If I have checked baggage do I need to claim it at each stop where I change trains, or is it checked through to my final destination? Does Amtrak lose luggage like the airlines do? The last time I travled by air my bags arrived 2 days later than I did. I learned the hard way to pack a change of cloths in my carry on.

You can check your bags all the way through to California, without needing to move them in Chicago.

Of course, since you'll be on the train for three days, you'll still want to bring along a change or two of cloths in a carry-on bag.

Amtrak does much better than airlines do at getting luggage where it's supposed to go. That's not to say that they haven't lost a bag or two, but their track record is much better than the airlines.

Judy said:
If I have checked baggage do I need to claim it at each stop where I change trains, or is it checked through to my final destination? Does Amtrak lose luggage like the airlines do? The last time I travled by air my bags arrived 2 days later than I did. I learned the hard way to pack a change of cloths in my carry on.
Just hold onto your checked baggage claim check so if something does happen enroute which it sometimes does they can relocate it and get it to ASAP if it does get lost enroute.I won't lie it does happen but most of the time passengers will get there baggage on the next train out.

It's always nice to be able (a) lock my luggage and (B) have it be able to take a different route from me without fuss.

Back