Battery Pack Fires on Airplanes

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FAA needs to revisit their Battery Pack Rules...
As I understand it, you cannot pack rechargeable batteries in checked baggage but are allowed to bring them in carry ons or personal items. Otherwise no one could have a cell phone on a plane which would not be practical.

Maybe there should be an investigation as to why batteries catch on fire and try to solve that.

I think I read or heard on the news that a device was charging from a portable power pack in the carry-on. I don't know whether it was the power pack or the device's internal battery that had the problem.

Maybe they need to publish a rule that devices cannot be charged while inside a carry-on. It's unenforceable, but hopefully most passengers would abide, aided by signs demonstrating the danger.

I remember looking at rules on bringing my laptop on an international flight, a few years ago. At that time, you could plug it in, but you had to remove the battery, they did not allow the battery to be charged while on board.

FAA needs to revisit their Battery Pack Rules...
The ability to sell and import defective battery designs seems to be the bigger issue here.

Maybe there should be an investigation as to why batteries catch on fire and try to solve that.
It's weird how little we seem to care about batteries that only burn skin, clothes, vehicles, houses, etc.

Back