Best Amtrak Overwater Crossing?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NativeSon5859

Conductor
This sounds like a decent topic for a poll-type question perhaps.

What's your favorite Amtrak water crossing, be it river, lake, bay, etc?

The most notable one I've been on is the Crescent's 6.5 mile trek over the Lake Pontchartrain trestle in between New Orleans and Slidell. It's pretty interesting to say the least. Looking down, you cannot see the bridge at all.

My grandfather is telling me that crossing Pontchartrain is nothing like crossing the Huey P. Long bridge. I'll get to experience that (on train) for the first time on the 18th of this month.

I've got two, Hell Gate Bridge in New York and Arbuckle Creek, Lorida, FL. Hell Gate to me is a great crossing because you can see New York City so well from that bridge, I still get chills everytime I watch the video I took from Acela Express last year as we go over Hell Gate. As for Arbuckle Creek, it is the quentiessential small brook crossing. It's a small stream that parallels and then crosses the CSX trackage near Lorida, FL (south of Sebring). I've only ever seen Arbuckle Creek from the train, but one day next summer after I get my truck I plan on driving up that way, renting a canoe with my buddy Aaron going up there and just video/photograph trains for the day.

Crossing the Potoamic River comming into or leaving (depening on direction of travel) Harpers Ferry, West Virginia on the Capitol Limited; Canton Viaduct on the Northeast Corridor in Canton, Massachusetts; and the Hell Gate Bridge in New York City.

I would agree that Hell Gate is pretty impresive. I would also add the bridge over the Potomic River, just south of DC. One has a wonderful view of DC and the Jefferson Memorial. While the bridge itself isn't too impressive, the surrounding area at Harper's Ferry on the Capitol is pretty cool too.

Also, while their not technically bridges, I would also have to say that the views running up the Hudson River from NY to Albany is impressive, as is the New River Gorge on the Cardinal.

Finally, while I've yet to cross it (it is on my list though), I understand that the bridge out of New Orleans over the Misssissippi on the Sunset Route is quite impressive. It's one of the higher, longer bridges in the US that still carries passenger trains.

I'd like to use this thread to share my all-time favorite training experience. I was traveling to Boston on a Northeast Direct for my company, on a sunny, clear-blue-sky day in July of 2000. At that time, Operation Sail was going on. The weekend before my trip it was in New York Harbor. A few days later it would be in Boston Harbor. My trip fell in between, when all the tall sailing ships were anchored in Long Island Sound just offshore of that stretch of track between Saybrook and New London. Seeing all those sailing ships go by was like taking a trip back in time. Kind of like a scene from an oil painting. As if it could have gotten any better, the train stopped at a drawbridge in Mystic. We were waiting for the replica of the Amistad to sail through!! Then, I returned to NJ the next day and got to see the same scene all over again.

Sadly I didn't bring a camera.

I'm not sure if I can ever top that experience on the rails, but I'm not going to stop trying.

Another unlikely vote for a neat body of water was a trip on the Three Rivers that went alongside the rock-filled portion of the Susquehanna River just north of Harrisburg during sunset. The sun glistening off the rocks and the water was extraordinary.

Speaking of the Sesquehana, I have to say the Sesquehana is also on my list of bodies of water to parallel and cross. It's too bad Amtrak doesn't use the NS Port Road between Baltimore and Harrisburg, it's such a great trip. :(

I would vote for the susquehana and I also like the bridge over Suisun Bay on the Capitol Corridor because you can see the US mothball fleet including the USS Iowa always a favorite of mine.

Certainly the Potomac RIver. Also, of course both the Crescent's approach to New Orleans and that of the Sunset Limited. I have fond, but vague memories of Hell Gate, am anxious to see that again in a few days. Seems it has always slipped up on me before I knew to start looking specifically for it. All of this has already been mentioned, I know ----can't think of anything distinctive at the moment.

Come to think of it, there is a beautiful place where Norfolk Southern tracks cross the Tennesse River in my hometown of Chattanoga. Problem is, of course, that has not seen passenger service since just before Amtrak. But it is very photogenic, both the dam nearby , the highway bridge and the railroad bridge..

Unfornately it is in a part of town few tourists ever see (nowhere near Lookout Mountain, or anything "touristy"). Now, that bridge HAS seen plenty of traffic since the beginning of Amtrak in the form of steam engine excursions, but those have stopped as well.. This location is pretty enough to find pictured from time to time in railroad publications, esp. but not exclusively,older ones. I have seen good shots of freights going over that bridge.

Bill Haithcoat said:
I have fond, but vague memories of Hell Gate, am anxious to see that again in a few days. Seems it has always slipped up on me before I knew to start looking specifically for it.
Bill,

Just start looking to your left, assuming that you are facing the head end, about 3 - 4 minutes after you pop out of the tunnel and pass the Sunnyside yards (also on your left).

The NEC tracks seperate from the LIRR tracks (they pull off to your right) right past the Sunnyside yards. At this point you are only about 10 blocks from my apartment. Once the sperartion occurs you'll be running on an embankment through Queens. Eventually this will super-elevate as you approach the Hell Gate Bridge.

Warning signs will be the Grand Central Parkway, a major highway running in a depression at this point. The next will be an elevated subway line, the Astoria Line. At this point you are already on the ramp up to the bridge. Manhattan should be in view ahead and to your left.

tp49 said:
I would vote for the susquehana and I also like the bridge over Suisun Bay on the Capitol Corridor because you can see the US mothball fleet including the USS Iowa always a favorite of mine.
Is that bridge over Suisun Bay the same one over which the California Zephyr travels? I came that way last Fall and, while seeing the ships, I didn't see the USS Iowa. I guess maybe I didn't realize it was there and wasn't really looking for it. As a native Iowan, I'd really like to see it someday before it unfortunately hits the scrapheap.

seajay

Yes, I've seen those WWII ships (cargo and warship) sitting quietly in Suisun Bay. It was a spectator view from California Zephyr. I think it's from Sacramento to Oakland station where the railroad tracks hugged along the shoreline.

I would have to say that the crossing of the CZ over the bay, near martinez is quite spectacular. I always enjoy seeing the mothball fleet.

I like the series of bridges on the Northeast corridor between Baltimore and Wilmington. There is the gunpowder river bridge, the brush river bridge, and the one over the Susquehanna river at Havre de Grace. All three are crossed at high speeds, and offer panoramic views of the water.

One favorite, though the train crosses over the bridge at night in both directions, is the long bridge over Pend Oreille River (next to Lake Pend Oreille) in Sandpoint, Idaho. It is very long, single track, girder, and among beautiful mountain scenery.

Another favorite bridge, which crosses over the Sacramento River and a park, is the one at Redding, California. It, too, is very long, almost long enough for an entire freight train. Unfortunately, the Coast Starlight (in both directions) passes over the bridge at night, but you can follow the train as it curves around and look down at the river and the lights in the park.

Suisan Bay Bridge is also used by the Coast Starlight and the Capitol trains, and it is spectacular, high up, with views.

Here in Portland, there are four major bridges: The first Columbia River Bridge just south of the Vancouver Depot. It has a swing birdge section that opens up for river (boat, ship) traffic, Amtrak trains sometimes wait for it to be realigned for their crossings. While crossing (at least a mile long), you get views of both states (OR and WA), the river, river traffic, highway traffic on the highway Interstate Bridge, and Mt. Hood.

As trains enter Oregon from Washington, they come onto land on Hayden Island, the northernmost part of Portland, which as shopping centers and marinas and houseboats. It then crosses another bridge over another arm of the Columbia River onto the mainland. That bridge is also quite long and has a section that opens for boat traffic, though it doesn't seem to be used much any more, if at all.

A few minutes later, trains cross over the Willamette River on another major bridge. This bridge was originally a swing bridge, but in about 1990, it was replaced with a lift spand (to allow ships a wider passage through the bridge). It, too, is constantly being opened for ship traffic, and trains must wait for it sometimes.

Between Vancouver and Portland, the Coast Starlight, the Cascades trains, and the Empire Builder all use this route.

The other major bridge occurs almost directly after leaving Portland Union Station going east. The train crosses the Steel Bridge, so called because the original (1888) was the first all steel bridge over the Willamette. The present bridge (owned by the Union Pacific) opened in 1912. It has two decks. The upper level is for highway and light-rail traffic, while the lower deck is for railroad trains. There is also a parallel walkway for pedestrians and bicyclists. The bridge is of a telescope design: the lower level is raised inside the upper level for short boats and ships without affecting road traffic. For larger ones (such as the Navy fleet), the two bridges are raised together, which halts both road and rail traffic. The Coast Starlight and the Cascades trains to Eugene use this bridge. The Empire Builder uses the bridge for the wye capabilities to turn itself around for the next trip eastward. That can be an interesting process to watch.

River traffic on all these bridges obviously has priority over rail traffic.

I think there is railroad bridge over Lake Shasta, but I'm not sure. Is there is a bridge over Lake Shasta for Coast Starlight? I remember saw the bridge while riding on houseboat on the lake. Sometimes the swimmers would jump off beneath the bridge into water.

CAN YOU PLEASE NOT POST MY NAME BATTLION51 ON THIS WEBSITE OR ANY OTHER. THANK YOU

-A.C.

seajay said:
tp49 said:
Is that bridge over Suisun Bay the same one over which the California Zephyr travels? I came that way last Fall and, while seeing the ships, I didn't see the USS Iowa. I guess maybe I didn't realize it was there and wasn't really looking for it. As a native Iowan, I'd really like to see it someday before it unfortunately hits the scrapheap.

seajay
seajay

That bridge is used by the CZ, the Iowa is kind of hidden IIRC it is in the middle of the several rows of mothball ships it is the furthest one out from the shore, you can tell when you see it because it is longer and lower than any other ship there and you can still see the 61 on her bow.

The Suisun Bay bridge also has an interesting history being rather old, but I don;t remember how old.

gswager said:
I think there is railroad bridge over Lake Shasta, but I'm not sure. Is there is a bridge over Lake Shasta for Coast Starlight? I remember saw the bridge while riding on houseboat on the lake. Sometimes the swimmers would jump off beneath the bridge into water.
Yes, there is at least one bridge that passes over an arm of Lake Shasta on the Coast Starlight north of Redding. The train is passing through the Shasta Recreation Area (or whatever the actual name is). Unfortunately, the trains (in both directions) pass through it at night. But, on a moonlit evening, you may be able to look out and follow the train as it rounds curves, and with reflections of the train's lights on the water. This whole area is quite scenic.

I am well aware that the Starlight is frequently late, especially northbound, by the time it passes through this area between Redding and Dunsmuir. I am going by what it says in the schedule and how late the train is likely to be. Both trains arrive in Redding about 2 or 3 in the morning. A couple of hours late, going north, would put the train here at about 5 am, which is probably light enough to see something. Southbound it would still be too dark unless the train were really, really late. Then, south of Redding is primarily central California flat, farmland, not as interesting as the mountainous areas to the north. I was going by the printed schedule and the likeliness of the train being late and by how much. The Starlight, while almost always late, is usually consistent about how much--usually one to two hours by the time in gets to Portland (northbound). It usually leaves on time going south. Once in a while the trainis really, really late. My suggestions to people would be to plan their trips and what they expect to see on the printed schedule. They might be pleasantly surprised sometimes if the train is late and they can see more than what they expect.

Keep in mind, though, that when a train is late, especially very late, people--even hard core railfans like me, can get awfully antsy after being onboard the train for so long, especially those who have been on since LA or Oakland/San Francisco.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back