Quantcast

Best Chicago-Florida Route?

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

What's the best Chicago-Florida route

• Total voters

Dakota 400

Conductor
A pretty good Ohio Rail Transportation Map is found here.

According to this 2009 plan, the 3-C route was supposed to follow Norfolk Southern from Cleveland to Berea, CSX from Berea to Columbus, and Norfolk Southern from Columbus to Dayton. As of 2009, 58 miles of the line from Columbus to Dayton was single-tracked including speed restrictions of 15, 20, or 25 mph through Springfield.
I ordered a copy of the map. I wonder if I will receive it.

Thank you for the link and the information!

Reactions: bms

Qapla

Conductor
Yes, you could - but that would not connect Jacksonville to Atlanta.

It would be nice to have one route from Chicago-Atlanta-Jacksonville while restoring the SL from NOL to JAX. Though it would not be direct, it would give two options to get from JAX to BHM.

Having something from Atlanta to Chattanooga would allow for two options also. One could run to CUS via Louisville and Indianapolis and another could run to St Luis via Nashville - that leg could possibly join the CONO or the TE

There may not be tracks there now - but, there should be :)

Dakota 400

Conductor
Good luck getting it. I ordered mine years ago and it still hasn't arrived.
Their web site indicated that there might be a delay due to the "present conditions". I wonder when that statement was posted. I thought it might be this year. Maybe not.

Oh well, if it comes, great. If not, so be it. The Sun will still rise tomorrow morning. I expect.