Big Luggage

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sechs

Engineer
I realised recently that the trip I will be taking originates at a station without checked luggage service. I've never used such a station while requiring baggage service (as I will on this trip).

Previous experience tells me that bringing more than the alotment of luggage isn't generally a big deal. However, this time, I will definitely have two very large bags with me, in addition to the standard rolling bag and backpack setup. Should I expect this to be an issue? Any words from the wise?

sechs said:
I realised recently that the trip I will be taking originates at a station without checked luggage service. I've never used such a station while requiring baggage service (as I will on this trip).
Previous experience tells me that bringing more than the alotment of luggage isn't generally a big deal. However, this time, I will definitely have two very large bags with me, in addition to the standard rolling bag and backpack setup. Should I expect this to be an issue? Any words from the wise?
As long as the bags are within the size limit and YOU CAN CARRY THEM you should be fine. :)

They're at the line.... I'll break out the measuring tape this weekend.

They have wheels. The hard part will be getting them onto the train and stowing them. Unfortunately, there's not an easy way to tell how many passengers will be on the train.

It should be okay. If the conductor tries to give you a hard time when you board I would tell him that you were informed by the Amtrak 800-number reservation staff that you would be able to check in two or three of your bags at the station you are boarding at, but then arrived and to your shock it the station is unstaffed. At that point the conductor will most likely just grumble about it and let you on with your bags. I wouldn't worry about the measuring tape as long as the bags aren't as big as body bags or unreasonably big and unmanagable. As long as you will be able to carry them on your own (even if it takes you two platform to train trips) you should be alright.

I have seen people get on with big plastic storage bins as their luggage, a guy going between two checked stations with about six carry ons, all sorts of things like that. Amtrak generally doesn't seem to enforce the baggage rules except at NYP.

The station is staffed, just no baggage service (according to the website).

As long as I can get the bags to Chicago, I can check them there for the second leg of the train trip.

jccollins said:
If the conductor tries to give you a hard time when you board I would tell him that you were informed by the Amtrak 800-number reservation staff that you would be able to check in two or three of your bags at the station you are boarding at, but then arrived and to your shock it the station is unstaffed. At that point the conductor will most likely just grumble about it and let you on with your bags.
I wouldn't count on this, and personally tell somebody to do that! If someone at at the 800 call center actually does tell you that, then that's OK. But this sounds "misleading" in the same way as the 800 call center does sometimes if you ask me! And over here on 'Silver Service" we have some conductors who will enforce the baggage policy right down to the wire.

But overall, just be sure all your luggage fits in the overhead storage area (or in the downstairs storage area in the Superliner equipment), and you 're able to handle them, and you should be OK. Enjoy your trip! OBS...

Back