Boston South Station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Amfleet said:
I don't mind sitting by myself, but I must have a window. One trip really annoyed me because I was on the isle and the guy sitting next to me was sleeping, not looking out the window, not leaning his head on the wall. Also, if the cafe has dinette seating I'll usually hangout there.
That was it, I was stuck in the aisle too. It wasn't enjoyable till philly, I wish that someone would've been nice enough to move, as I was 10 yrs old and in the 5th grade.

Amfleet said:
Ruote 128 is a very nice station (you almost feel like your in Europe!), but the bulk of the crowds do board there so you can end up with an undesireable seat. Back Bay is not too bad and to put things into perspective the amount of passengers combined that get on at both South Station and Back Bay are the amount that get on at 128. Providence is even worse since no one gets off and many get on. I boared there once it was heck!!!
The only times I've used 128, once it was to ride the commuter rail in the opposite direction to Stoughton, and once my then-fiance and now ex-wife were staying at a hotel in Dedham, whose van transported us to and from the station. Another time I was dropped off there by car. Point is, the 128 station is fully dependant on the automobile.

When I was in New York Penn I steped of to stetch my legs. Sutupid thing to do. I decided to board towards the front of the train and head back, but all the newly boarded passengers were headed my way and with New Yorkers being there way it was bad, Felt like I was a samoln going up stream. I finally made it back to my seat.

I should add that Washington Union Station is sort-of a "mixed bag" of platforms. Tracks 7-19 (used by MARC commuter trains and most Amtrak trains that originate/terminate in Washington, including the Acela Express) are high-level platforms that are accessed at the same level as the main concourse, just like Boston South Station. But the difference there is that one does not feel the elements at WAS, mainly because there is a buffer zone, an area between the initial gate you enter, and where the bumping posts are by the beginning of the platforms.

Tracks 20 and above (used by Superliners, trains to or from points south and west, and VRE commuter trains) are the low-level platforms, and these run underneath the station so you have to take an escalator or elevator down to track level. Even so, here too there is a buffer from the elements with all the corridors one has to pass through.

I would think there are some people who might try to sleep in the station, particularly those waiting for Train 190, which leaves WAS at 3 AM, and Trains 170 & 2150, which departs 5 AM. Even with ticket offices closed, everyone travelling should be able to produce a ticket since there are Quick-Track machines right in the waiting area.

I've only been on the lower level tracks which always seem quite crowded. Washington, DC is a beautiful station and I hope to get a good glance at it the next time I'm there. Indeed it was a lot nicer and larger than Southie.

Amfleet said:
Of course if the station is, it has to be.
That's the thing though. South Station has very poor heat and no AC!
Well trust me, I've been in the lounge both during the winter and the summer. I've never been uncomfortable while in the lounge. The station may be another matter, but Club Acela is primo. :)

Amfleet, DC station is indeed very beautiful.....for many tourists, it is a destination in itself, whether they have any train to catch or not. Lots of shops, eating places, beautiful decor.....hard to beat.Always very busy.Some tours and tour buses stop there as a regular pickup place....again, these are not necessarily train travelers...just people admiring the station itself

The reason I want to go back to DC is that I never got to see the main waiting room. We just came up from the lower level tracks, headed to the Metropolitan Lounge, and within 10 minutes we were directed to our next train. I felt the area directly off the tracks was more like an airport than a train station.

Maybe, but I think whenever you have time to see the WHOLE thing, including the outside as well as the inside, you will find it most attractive.

It's exterior architecture blends very nicely with the U.S. Capitol, the Supreme Court and other fine buildings very near the station.

When I worked in DC I used to get my morning coffee and breakfast at Union Station as it is a couple of blocks from the building I worked in. IIRC, the waiting area near the high level platforms was nothing spectacular. The main hall near the ticket windows is beautiful but there was not any seating there. However, as it is a shopping mall you can kill plenty of time browsing the shops. Georgetown had their graduation party in the station in 1996, and Amtrak's headquarters is in the building as well.

There is/was (was more likely) a train store near the gates, which is/was very nice, but I believe it closed, like the ones in my area did. :(

Go to the trainweb 360x360 photos, and check out D.C. Union.

Sure, I remember that store, I used to buy Passenger Train Journal there. It faced the waiting area for the southern most high level platforms. I think it was called "The Great Train Store" and was a national chain as there was one at the Source Mall in Westbury, NY and the Riverwalk in New Orleans. I wonder then if the chain still exists.

Yes, that was the name of it, there are few remaining, if any. I miss that store, its where I got my pins (and lots of them) for my Amtrak hat.

tp49 said:
Sure, I remember that store, I used to buy Passenger Train Journal there. It faced the waiting area for the southern most high level platforms. I think it was called "The Great Train Store" and was a national chain as there was one at the Source Mall in Westbury, NY and the Riverwalk in New Orleans. I wonder then if the chain still exists.
No, unfortunately the entire Great Train Store chain folded. And there really was never anything else like it. It was so appropriate at working train stations, and at tourist attractions. There even was one in the Mall at Steamtown next to the Steamtown attraction in Pennsylvania. They were able to attract railfans, and non-railfans, while they were still in a "train mood".

Yeah, I remember how exciting it was to go to the ones in Woodbridge Mall, and Garden State Plaza. I hope to see something similar to it, especially since souveniers have declined along the Silver Service Routes. :(

I think there used to be one of the Great Train stores in St. Louis's Union Station mall. Rather appropriate for a train store to be located in a former train station.

(Personally, I wish that there was some way for Amtrak to use some of Union Station for itself instead of the Amshack that sits under a couple of highway overpasses. :( )

Doesn't it figure that the chain went under. Funny thing was that other than the train magazine the only thing I ever bought there was a 1/43 scale model police car never any trains.

I remember that store well.....both at the DC station and in Chattanooga and in Atlanta. Actualy the one in DC was not as good as the other two because it specialized in "cutsey" stuff that the non-railroader would pick-up A clerk told me that once, though not in exactly those words. .The other two had things for the truly serious railfan., at least as far as books, etc. Not sure about model trains since I am not into that any longer...maybe it was not so good at that..But so far as books, and videos it had things you would never find at a Barnes and Noble or any regular store.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back