Business Class on Palmetto

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

National Limited

Service Attendant
I've booked a trip on the Palmetto from NYP to SAV in Feburary. I upgraded to business class. I've never seen "business class" so am curious to know what it is like. Are there pictures anywhere of a business class car? What amenities are available (web site says free drinks and news papers). Are the seats different from coach? We leave very early in the morning (6:00 or so). Anyone know what time the lounge car will open for breakfast?

Business class on the Palmetto is just like any coach seat you'd have on any Amfleet long-distance train. You receive the typical non-revenue complementary non-alcoholic beverages (sodas, coffee, juice, bottled water, etc.) in the lounge car. That's about it. What you get is a quieter ride than in coach. Before the train was cut back to Savannah, when the Palmetto was staffed out of MIA and JAX, you had a personal train attendant to bring you beverages, pillows, a blanket and help you with your bags. In addition, the car had audio-visual equipment with ear-phones passed out to to Business Class passengers for their enjoyment. As with most Amtrak trends, the audio-visual equipment was removed due to lack of maintenance and video cassette theft in Sunnyside Yard in New York. In addition, when NYP got the OBS jobs for the train, they abolished the Business Class train attendant. I don't want to downplay the benefit of being in a more private coach car, but don't expect much, its just an Amfleet coach. I believe TA still passes out blankets with the pillows, but I really just don't know. I enjoyed working this car when I was in JAX, but all good things Amtrak ever had seem to disappear. Have a good trip!

Back