Buying points worthwhile?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Under the new system that kicks in the 24th, will it be cost effective to buy points in addition to earning them with the CC??

I looked up the current cost for me to buy 10,000 points - $377. According to the points estimator, I would need a little over 13,000 points to book $377 worth of travel.

I suspect that they're going to revamp the points buying scheme to match the cash value of points.

Keep in mind that AGR points were "re-valued" last spring ahead of any announcement of a new/revised AGR program.

The purchase cost of points went from $0.275 to the current $0.0377 per point (before bonus). They did increase the annual purchase maximum from 10,000 to 15,000.

This event created a lot of discussion here on AU and Flyer Talk about whether it was still worthwhile buying points every year.

When this point re-valuation occurred, most of us had no knowledge of a revised AGR program which will take effect in a couple of weeks.

Thanks for the replies.

Since it's all changing so soon, and the purchase limit is based on calendar year - there should be plenty of time to evaluate and then buy or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back