California Zepher/Coast Starlight

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GG-1

Engineer
Honored Member
Aloha

P am planing to connect to the CZ from the CS in Emeryville. I am wondering would the connection be more convienient if I were to change it to Sacramento.

1 Does the station stay open all night

2 Are there economy hotels near/next to the station

3 Any other advantages

Any disadvantages

you don't say if you are coming off #11 or #14. Off #11 the connection is too tight at Emeryville so you would use sac (and lately even THAT is missed most of the time). Off #14 the Sac arrival is midnight (or later) and a lousy time to be looking for your hotel, so Emeryville is probably better choice unless you are a late riser, then use Sac (there is a Vagabond or somesuch across the street from the station).

Aloha

I am going north on the 14. The Emeryville station closes and I can not wait there. Any of the nearby hotes are way to expensive fo only 4 hour, or so, assuming the 14 will be 2 hpurs late and if I return to the station at 7:30/8:00 amit's just not worth spending 100.00.

I would not care if the waiting room would be available, but Amtrak closes the station an hour after the Starlight arives.

At the moment I am planing a late nite snack followed by breakfast at the Denny's next to the station.

As I live very close to the Sacramento Depot I can provide some insight here. To answer your first question no the station does not stay open all night, generally they are open until 14 comes through at 11:59 PM (scheduled) or when it actually comes through which can be much later.

As for economy hotels in the area there is the Vagabond Inn located across I street at the corner of 3d and I the Holiday inn is at 3d and J (as for the econominess of it well that may be another story). There are also the Travelodge at 11th and H and the Best Western across the street which are about 6 blocks from the station and an easy walk (about 10 minutes or less depending upon how much stuff you have).

The connection to #6 would have you waiting around 11 hours in Sac if the trains were both on time. 6 is generally on time into SAC but 14 can be dicey depending on the day.

The advantages to Sac are hotels are probably cheaper you might even be able to find a decent deal (not sure since I've never stayed in a hotel here), Old Sac is right next to the station and when I say that I mean the California State Railroad Museum is next to the depot you could kill a couple of hours there easily. The Downtown Plaza shopping center is a couple of blocks down from the station as well and is a full scale shopping mall complete with food court. If you're lucky you might even see Governor Arnold.

The disavantages are if you have to spend time out there is a large homeless population in Downtown Sacramento (it's worse in San Francisco but not much) and it can be a bit desolate especially late at night, but there is a Denny's right next to the aforementioned Vagabond Inn.

If you have any other Sac queations feel free to put them here or PM me and I'll answer them for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back