California Zephyr and City of New Orleans

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

denmarks

Train Travel Enthusiast
I'm leaving a week from saturday for my trip from Sacramento to New Orleans via Chicago. :) I was wondering about the cars on each train (CZ and CONO). Are they Superliner I or II, how old are they, and how many of each car. Any other bits of information on the trains would be appreciated. :unsure:

The Auto Train, Coast Starlight, and the Sunset Limited are the only three trains you can really expect a full set of Superliner II cars. This is because the Auto Train and Coast Starlight are Amtrak's pride and joy trains, utalizing the better Superliners to impress passengers. The Sunset operates with mostly Superliner II cars as it is based out of Sanford with the Auto Train. On all other Superliner equiped trains you will find mostly Superliner I equipment, however, there can be a few Superliner II cars per train as well. Though, how many you will have per train and of what type is very unpredictable.

The Superliner I series was manufactured in the mid-1970's by Pullman. They have the brown, orange, red, and earthy colored interior. Superliner II series cars were produced in the earlier 1990's by Bombardier. The newer cars have more modern colored interiors. Some Superliner I cars have been refurbished with some of the modern features found in Superliner II cars. Very few Superliner I cars have been rebuilt to Superliner II standards.

denmarks said:
I'm leaving a week from saturday for my trip from Sacramento to New Orleans via Chicago. :) I was wondering about the cars on each train (CZ and CONO). Are they Superliner I or II, how old are they, and how many of each car. Any other bits of information on the trains would be appreciated. :unsure:
Aloha

September I take the same trains. I will be looking forward to your trip report. My only difference is I start north from LA and layover in Emeryville one night. I have just about decided to spend the time in the Denny's as the train station closes. I plan on having a five hour breakfast :rolleyes: .

Hope your trip is fun! :D

I have just about decided to spend the time in the Denny's as the train station closes. I plan on having a five hour breakfast
Reminds me of the guy who stays at the All You Can Eat resturant until he's sure it's ALL he can eat. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back