Canada's Via Rail

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just rode the Canadian from Vancouver to Toronto last week. Yes, the prime rib is cooked on board - I was talking to one of the cooks and she mentioned that they slow roasted the prime rib on board beginning in the morning. I agree - it was terrific and the portion was big. Also, VIA was checking the luggage you proposed to take on board and if it was too large (and mine was), they informed you that the big bag would have to be checked. However, they also provided a free fold-up shoulder bag (about the size of one of those LL Bean totes when folded out) to take things out of my big bag so I could carry them on board. The fold-up bag was surprisingly roomy, so I was actually able to move just about everything from the big bag into it. The fold up bag also fit perfectly into the area directly above the sink in the cabin for two and still left enough room for 2 other small carryon rollers to the left. The fact is that when those beds are down in the cabin for 2, space is very tight - tighter than any Amtrak train. There were no storage areas outside the cabins. There was a small amount of space under the bed between the folded chairs that you could squeeze a briefcase and a medium to large purse when the beds were down. We absolutely loved the train, the food and the interesting folks on board. You're in for a real treat.

Thanks for the detailed information. One thing that should help us out in the "storing carry-ons department" is that our Bedroom D has extra space in it, so we may be able to tuck out carry-ons there. You can see the extra "return space" to the left of the door in the diagram below. Bedroom D is substantially larger than Bedroom C next door. Look at the space in front of the seats!

castle.jpg
I won't swear to it, but I don't think that the D room is any larger than the other rooms. I'm pretty sure that it's just the way that diagram is drawn that makes it look larger. You don't have the bathroom from the opposing room in the picture, instead the hall curves back to the center of the car there. But again, from what I recall when I walked by, it's no larger than any other double bedroom.
They are larger, at least in the Manors. In original, RR, accomodation terms, they were "compartments" the other bedrooms were "double bedrooms". Compartments were larger and cost more. Via simplified booking at some point and they all became bedrooms or "Cabins for 2" as Via puts it now. So "D" is a better accomodation for the same price.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back