Canadian Trip Report - Part Two - Day 2 - 3

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrFSS

Engineer
Honored Member
Via # 1 – The Canadian – Trip Report – 5/3 – 5/5/2005 Part Two

Toronto to Jasper

This trip was part of a tour group program that includes the Via from Toronto to Jasper and Rocky Mountaineer from Banff to Vancouver. As of this writing I haven’t made the Rocky Mountaineer part, yet.

I will post pictures as I can get them processed and uploaded.

------------------------------------------

See Part One Here: Part One of the Report

After a good night’s sleep, I got up to take a shower and shave. No hot water in our car. Had to go to the car next to ours. Nice size shower and changing area. Seemed to be about the size of the one on The Cardinal when I took that trip in February. They fixed the hot water problem later in the day. I think someone forgot to throw the circuit breaker back on after the car had come from the yard when they made the train up.

Via provides a very complete kit with soap, shampoo, lotion, etc. It even had ear plugs if you needed them. We were far enough behind the engines that I could barely hear the horn at crossings. And, in Canada, not as many roads that cross the tracks out in the North Country.

We continued across Ontario most of the 2nd day. It’s a big place. Very rocky and a gazillion pine trees.

We continue about an hour late.

Breakfast was the usual bacon and eggs with potatoes and toast for me. They had other selections but I stick with what I like.

Lunch was a roast beef sandwich, open face, with melted cheddar cheese on it, the good cottage cheese and vanilla yogurt, again. I was trying to stay away from the chocolate.

I took a nap in the afternoon and we then entered Manitoba. Very sudden change from the trees, rocks, lakes to flat land. He opened it up and we had to be doing between 80-90 MPH. She was rocking pretty good on the straight aways. But, we still had to pull over for the freights.

As we approached Winnipeg it went to double track and that helped with the freights. It was announced they would have to have folks in the rear of the train who were getting off to come forward and exit from a car closer to the engines. When they loaded, a lot of new passengers boarded, and they had to load, pull forward and load the second time. This, along with already being late, made us about 30 minutes late leaving Winnipeg.

I was able to get off and check out the station. Nice one fully restored. I bought a Via Rail engineer’s cap.

A new crew replaced the Toronto crew and it was like night and day. Poor service, some in the dining car didn’t seem to know what they were doing. Our car attendant wasn’t very personable, either. But we survived.

Dinner was some tasteless turkey. New chef I guess.

After dinner I went back into the dome car. FLAT – FLAT – FLAT – Not much to see. They were burning the stubble from the fields and that caused a lot of smoke and haze.

The story out there is, you can stand on a beer can and watch you dog run away for three days!

My wife and I decided we would turn in early this night but I couldn’t find the car attendant. Eventually did and he made up the beds for us. Just not the detail the Toronto attendant had given us.

Again, I was able to sleep and slept right through Saskatchewan. I did wake up about 1:30 in the morning and we were in Saskatoon, so at least I can say I saw some of that province.

After a shower and shave in the morning I had my usual breakfast. We then learned that since we were getting off at Jasper they wanted us to have lunch at 11:00 AM. We did, went back to our room and packed up to get off in Jasper.

In the mid-morning I ventured back to the Park car – 20 cars back from where I was. Not a soul in it and about 6 people in the dome park. No one in the mural lounge, either. I stayed about 20 minutes and then walked back.

They had some Château cars near the rear of the train and they look like the old stair step type roomette cars from days gone by. I tried to get some pictures of a few that were empty. They are small!

We arrived in Edmonton about 15 minutes late and the station is on the north side of downtown near an airport. Interesting to see the train back in. I was able to walk to the rear, this time outside and it was much easier. I also walked back up to the engines, so I walked the full length of the train, twice.

About an hour from Jasper we started seeing the mountains and this long train struggled on some of the grades.

We arrived in Jasper about 15 minutes late and ended the first part of our great cross Canada Rail trip. We Board the Rocky Mountaineer tomorrow, Gold Leaf Service, for the two day trip from Banff to Vancouver.

As our tour bus pulled out of the parking lot I saw them on lifts washing the dome windows! I think Via will get a letter from me when we get back.

Over all this was a great trip. Riding in those 50’s cars brought back many memories from my youth.

I also want to thank this group for all the info I have learned from you in the last year, for the many who answered my questions, and have given me advice. There were many passengers on this trip who had never been on a train and I was proud that I could answer many of their questions from what I have learned here in this forum.

I will have a Rocky Mountaineer report soon.

Thanks for listening.

Tom

I really enjoyed reading your report. Too bad the second crew was not up to snuff. I did not have as much of the freight train interference problem that I have read about recenty.

You mention the stair step rooms in the Chateau cars---those rooms were called "duplex roomettes" in the past, as opposed to regular roomettes. They were starggered like that, I guess to squeeze a few more people in.There were never as many of those as there were regular roomettes.

Strangely it was mostly trains like the pre-Amtrak Empire Builder and North Coast Limited which had them. Were those by chance some of the trains you rode in pre-Amtrak times?

Strangely it was mostly trains like the pre-Amtrak Empire Builder and North Coast Limited which had them. Were those by chance some of the trains you rode in pre-Amtrak times?
I was never able to ride either of those trains. I wish I could have. I saw them in Chicago in the 50's. I rode UP, CMST&P, PRR, L&N, B&O, C&O, and Monon as a kid.

What L&N trains did you ride? I did my "teething" on L&N and L&N- family related railroads.
Louisville to Cincinnati. Have a llok at my rail page link, below, and then 50's trains for a number of L&N shots from that era.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back