Cape Cod commuter rail

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think there’s merit to the project. I’m not sure I’d frame it as commuter rail at three trips per day. It’s really more of a regional rail project, especially at three trips per day and nobody is going to opt for a 2:38 train ride for a 70 mile trip twice a day to commute. Track and signal work would certainly be helpful to improve the viability of the route.

I think there’s merit to the project. I’m not sure I’d frame it as commuter rail at three trips per day. It’s really more of a regional rail project, especially at three trips per day and nobody is going to opt for a 2:38 train ride for a 70 mile trip twice a day to commute. Track and signal work would certainly be helpful to improve the viability of the route.
Actually, in terms of time and distance and train fequency, that's similar, to the Washington-Harper's Ferry-Martinsburg service on MARC'S Brunswick Line.

It might be viable for someone who only goes into the office a few days a week or who spends weekends at the Cape. There might be reverse commute possibilities given how expensive housing is on the Cape and how workers priced out of the market might live in Southeastern Mass towns like Brockton and commute into Hyannis

Most commuters would not be travelling all the way to or from Hyannis. 1:28 between BOS and Buzzard's Bay (mainland side of the canal) would be a long commute but competitive with driving. (Ever been stuck on Route 3?) 5 minutes more to Bourne on the other side of the bridge.

The ROW exists and is maintained, so could be upgraded relatively easily for much greater speed.

It is unfortunate that the right of way no longer exists all the way to Falmouth and Woods Hole. This would allow people to connect to the ferry to Martha's Vineyard. I believe there is still a ferry to MV from Hyannis but it takes a lot longer. The original ROW from Falmouth to Woods Hole is now a bike path.

https://www.wcvb.com/article/woman-hit-killed-by-capeflyer-train-bourne-massachusetts/44994006

In a statement emailed to NewsCenter 5, MBTA Transit Police Department Supt. Richard Sullivan said that at about 7:35 p.m., a woman intentionally entered the right of way and was struck by the train.

"On behalf of the TPD and the entire MBTA organization, we express our sincerest condolences to the decedent's family, friends and loved ones," Sullivan said in his statement.

A passenger on the CapeFLYER train involved in the collision told NewsCenter 5 reporter Brianna Borghi that at about 9 p.m., they were told by authorities that they would be on the train for four to seven hours before it starts moving.

According to that passenger, an emergency responder said the train would usually not be allowed to move because the engineer in control of the train would be tested at a local hospital as part of the crash investigation. But there is another engineer on board the train who will eventually be able to transport passengers to Boston.

Back