Cardinal

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
On Friday, I tried to book a sleeper on 51 from New York to Chicago departing February 29. The computer showed that only reserved coach was available.

When I called Amtrak, the agent told there were now no sleepers at all on this train. So I guess they went to the florida trains? . . .

Anyway, since there were no sleepers on 51 I changed my plans form that weekend.

Now I am going to New Orleans for about 330 round trip from Chicago to New Orleans in a sleeper pretty good huh?

This could be part of the "Viewliner shortage." We all know their having mechanical issues with the cars, the Meteor's been on and off with three sleepers, some days only with two. I'm not sure what the heck is going on, but they need to get this stuff figured out real quick. Also, get 62011 and 62013 back in service. It also can't help that the Safety Patrol is tying up the 62001 for another week.

The sleepers seem to be gone for the month of February, the first available sleeper is currently March 3rd.

The Crescent has a similar issue. Normally it carries 2, and for the first time in 7 years, I saw it traveling with one sleeper about 5 months ago. I have heard sparatic reports of it having only one since then though.

Believe it or not the Meteor and Star both ran with only one sleeper on the 29 of December going north, thanks to mechanical failures and the lack of a substitute. Let's just say that was an interesting trip. :lol: :ph34r:

Thats really depressing :angry: :(

The Card is the nicest amtrak line. it needs its LD consist back ASAP.

From what I understand the Cardinal lost it's Dining Car also. So, this train is basically a Three Rivers minus a sleeper.

Kind of discouraging for any potential passengers wanting a sleeper and full meal service.

That's a fairly long haul sans sleeper or diner. Hopefully, we'll see the Cardinal in its pre-Auto Train accident glory, as in, full Superliner consist. I'm sure the Sightseer Lounge is a must going through the New River Gorge!

NativeSon5859 said:
I'm sure the Sightseer Lounge is a must going through the New River Gorge!
I'd say so. I haven't been on the Card since the loss of the Superliner consist, but I can't imagine trying to check out the gorge through the windows of a Viewliner or Amcafe car.

Those big windows on a Sightseer make a world of difference. :rolleyes: :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back