Cell phone question.....

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Breeze

Train Attendant
Hey everyone

Question about cell phones...Can I bring my cell phone on my trip ( yes I officially brought my tickets..be proud, be proud hehehe)? Because you know with planes, you have to turn them off, before you take off and I think before you land, so is it a problem for the train as well? My mom thinks it's absolutely ridiculous for me to take it because I'll miss the scenery on the whole trip, talking so much, but hey I'm 21 years old AND female..where would a girl be without her phone!! B)

Nope, free use of cell phones on Amtrak. Use common courtesy though. For example if you're going to talk at night after the lights go off, you should talk in the lounge while people try to sleep. Other than that your only obstacle is the somewhat far apart cell sites. I know the hot spots down here, but that's only thanks to 150 trips over the same track. :lol:

You might plan your times to talk with a timetable of your route. Look for the bigger cities and maybe some longer stops (noted by two times next to a city). Cell service is often nonexistent in the boonies like B51 said (unless you want to pay roaming fees $$$$), so try to make your calls when in and around the more populated parts.

Battalion 51 is correct; Amtrak has no restrictions on cell phones on the train that you will be riding.

As he pointed out though, don't expect to have a signal during your entire trip, unless you've got a satellite phone. Otherwise, expect to have dead zones. But if you've got a signal, then you can use your phone.

Of course remember to be courteous to your fellow passengers too. Like Battalion mentioned, you may want to head to the lounge car, especially if it's late at night.

battalion51 said:
Nope, free use of cell phones on Amtrak. Use common courtesy though. For example if you're going to talk at night after the lights go off, you should talk in the lounge while people try to sleep. Other than that your only obstacle is the somewhat far apart cell sites. I know the hot spots down here, but that's only thanks to 150 trips over the same track.   :lol:
Yeah, Def. try and plan it around areas where you will have service. I had one of the most confusing conversations with "Julie" ever on the zephyr through the rockies. :lol:

Breeze said:
My mom thinks it's absolutely ridiculous for me to take it because I'll miss the scenery on the whole trip, talking so much, but hey I'm 21 years old AND female..where would a girl be without her phone!! B)
Ps. Watch out for roaming charges on your cell phone, or you could have a whopper of phone bill waiting for you when you get home.

Thanks guys...well my phone is a trak phone, so I will have to use a calling card, so as long as I don't run out of minutes, it should be fine!

Oh but of course Battalion and Alan, I will definitely be courteous of others. Probably be talking during the day mostly considering I probably would be sleep myself late at night :D

Now the route I ride might be considered "commuter," but this is why I ride in the quiet car...people yaking on their cell phones and yes I'm also one of those who will say something (especially in the quiet car where I ride) if someone is doing that. Nothing more irritating than to hear someone loudly yaking on their cell phone (regardless of time of day) so loudly that they can be heard at the opposite end of the car. Thus, if you must use your phone keep it down and keep it short. B)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back