Changes in Amtrak Benifits

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

The Dude

I was on Amtrak last summer, and noticed that instead of having soap and shampoo (like they did when I was on in 1993) they had soda pop. :huh:

Just wondoring what caused this change???

Due to the current lack of substancial funding many of these amenities were cut. I'm not sure if it still holds true, but I've been able to get soap, toothbrush, toothpaste, and stuff along that line in the sleepers. Along with soda, coffee, juice, newspaper, fruit, and cookies (now gone:( ))

As for the cuts, Its either that or something ranging from defered maintenence (something which is causing the current equipment shortage) to cutting routes. If you think thats bad, I've heard that at one point in the '70s (I believe) dining cars used paper plates and plastic utensils.

Hope this helps. :)

but I've been able to get soap, toothbrush, toothpaste, and stuff along that line in the sleepers
Just ask your car attendent and he/she will supply with needed toiletries.
If you think thats bad, I've heard that at one point in the '70s (I believe) dining cars used paper plates and plastic utensils.
Not only that, but all meals were microwaved and from what I've heard they tasted horrible.

On the CZ a couple of months ago, we had no toiletries provided. There weren't even towels for the shower! Luckily, I had brought a towel along. Whenever I thought about asking the attendant about this (the towels), I could never find him. Come to think of it, I hardly ever saw this guy on the entire two-day trip!

Very honestly, I didn't really find not having toiletries that big a deal. If Amtrak is looking for areas to scrimp and save, proving toiletries free of charge wouldn't need to be high on the list of services provided, even for a sleeper passenger. I would never think to not bring my toiletries bag along with me while traveling.

Towels, on the other hand...

seajay

Viewliner and Amfleet, you are both quite correct. There was a period in the 70's (late 70's, I think) in which paper plates and plastic utensils were used, microwaved food.......bad........very bad.

It was during President Carter's administration. I think that was the same time the Floridian, the National Limited and several other routes were cut....I think all of that ties together.

Seajay, that sounds like the attendant I had on the CZ a couple of years ago. Of all the trains which SHOULD shine with excellent service, this would be one of them.

I suppose I should be happy to some degree. I didn't have bad service, I just had no service at all. <_<

Of course, he was around at the end of the trip to collect his tips. :lol:

seajay

Seajay, mine didn't get a tip. I think he was too lazy to literally hold his hand out to sort of help me off, which as you know is sort of when the tip is given......now that is lazy!!!

Mine got a very small tip. I did appreciate the fact that he kept the car stocked with pop, juice, and coffee. I'm just wondering when it was he was around to do it! :lol:

seajay

Bill Haithcoat said:
It was during President Carter's administration. I think that was the same time the Floridian, the National Limited and several other routes were cut....I think all of that ties together.
You mean we can put the blame on ole Jimmy Carter <G> :)

Boy, my sarcasm is really dripping today...

Sarcasm? What sarcasm?? :rolleyes:

I wonder if the Nobel Prize committee was aware of this. :lol:

seajay

Hey guys....I'm back! I was on another forum, and Viewliner was asking me why I disappeared from here, and I told him that I hadn't been able to get in here. Well I checked it out, and I'm back :) .

Anyways, as far as this topic...it is interesting to hear your stories. I hope that if I ever have the honor of having you on board my sleeper, I take great care of you.

And yes, as far as toiletries and such, I always have a bag of such things, so you just need to ask me about them. And the soda, to my knowledge we have always had.

And sometimes, I try to personally get cookies for my passengers. Keep your eyes peeled for those special attendants :) .

Tuballen, I, too, welcome you back. I was thinking about you precisely in the context of this particular forum....I was thinking....whatever happened to that guy....anyway, welcome back.

By the way, since I use my real name on here, you will KNOW if I am in your sleeper one of these days.

And for my complaints on this forum, I have had all kinds of extremes in service....some so very, very good that I remember them to this day.I have had the best luck, through the years, on long distance trains. I think that lack of goodluck is what blew my mind so much on that CZ trip mentioned.

Welcome Back Allen.

If you reregister, you'll get back all the posts (i.e. Rank line engineer) back. Glad you're enjoying your experience, and working harder than many seem to be. B)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back