Charlie Knocks Out Empire Service

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AlanB

Engineer
Honored Member
The Amtrak Press Release:

Due to conditions resulting from Hurricane/Tropical Storm Charley, Amtrak services in central and southwest Florida, as well as New York's Empire Corridor, have been affected.
In the state of Florida, power failures and track damage have modified Silver Service.

In New York state, track damage has resulted in service disruptions between Albany and New York City. In some cases, trains are cancelled, while in other cases, trains may be terminated in Albany and alternate transportation is provided.

Service between Washington, D.C., New York Penn Station and Boston is operating normally
This also takes out Metro North's Hudson line too.

Metro-North Railroad has suspended train service on the Hudson Line between the Garrison and Peekskill stations after rains washed out the ground beneath a stretch of tracks.
Metro-North spokesman dan Brucker says earth and ballast the heavy stones on which the tracks sit washed out around 8:30 a-m, leaving a 25-foot stretch of tracks suspended about 15 feet in the air.
The full story from 1010 WINS News.

Must have been some severe flooding in the Hudson Valley , from what I originally heard I thought the remnants of Charlie skirted the NY Metro area.

Well as a whole, Charlie did miss us. However, we've had some heavy rains all week, so Charlie just added more water too the problem.

And all it takes is one stream bursting it's banks to wash out the tracks.

Alan,

I forgot about the rain there this summer as when I was back a couple of weeks ago it only rained on the day I arrived and I was so tired I slept through the rain. Probably doesn't take much rain then to cause any flooding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back