Charlottesville (BAL>19>CVS>50>BAL)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Metropolitan

OBS Chief
Plan A to Plan B to Plan C...

Heck, at least the trains were on time!

It all started several months ago, when I spotted a Viewliner Bedroom on sale from Charlotte to Baltimore for $200 - less than the price of a roomette. I contacted my friend, and asked her if she was game to try to take the North Carolina trip we had cancelled in January, and she certainly was. The plan was to get a morning Regional to DC on Friday, get breakfast, grab the Palmetto to Richmond, get lunch, and then get the Carolinian into Raliegh, stay the night, and get the next morning's Piedmont to Charlotte, hang around the entire day before returning to the station to get the Crescent in the above mentioned bedroom back to Baltimore.

Then her leave day got rescinded.

On to plan B. Heck with work, we'd shorten the trip substantially, which was actually a better idea since she had since sprained her ankle, and the whole Charlotte thing seemed a bit too much. I gave her 3 options for a "Leave Saturday Return Sunday" trip - Pittsburgh, Cumberland, and Charlottesville. She chose the last option, and off I went to arrange lodging and transportation.

Plan B was to leave on Saturday evening's Crescent to Charlottesville and return on Sunday Afternoon's Cardinal.

Then her family stood her up for babysitting.

Plan C - same as plan B but riding solo, and a tad bit pissy from having plans A and B scrapped.

THANK THE POWERS THAT BE FOR AMTRAK'S CANCELLATION POLICIES! IN THIS WAY, I DO LOVE THIS RAILROAD!

At 5:10pm, train #19 is called for boarding, and I make my way down to the platform along with a few others. In just moments, it comes into view. Unfortunately, we were not really directed on where to stand, so when the train comes to a stop, we're all standing by the baggage car, nearly a city block from the entrances to the coaches. I'm pointed to the last car on the train by the first Conductor I encounter and make my way back to the entrance between the last and next to last cars, where the polite Conductor directs me to sit in the last car. At this stage, the car is about 1/3 full, so I find a good seat on the right a little behind center of car.

One other pair, a woman and her apparent granddaughter also board, and sit a few seats up. Before long, we're off. Two guys in front of me strike up a conversation, and hit it off pretty well, mostly talking about differences between people (and women) in NYC and Atlanta, where each hails from. For the moment, they're the only conversation in what is mostly a quiet car. This evening's coach is a rather recently redone Amfleet II coach #25111.

The ride to DC goes pretty quickly, and soon enough we're making the Loco change, as motor #952 trades out for a pair of P-42's. A short time later, our car begins to fill, and I do mean FILL with people boarding in DC, which does cause some confusion among those already settled in. Oddly enough, though seat assignments were given to boarding passengers, I don't get a seatmate yet, though I do when we hit Alexandria, though he soon disappears to the lounge car "to drink."

Though this ride should offer me a chance to ride and dine in a Heritage Diner (tonights is #8530), I'm still really sour about this whole plan C thing, and don't want my memory of a Heritage Diner ride clouded by such, so I resign to the Lounge Car for my backup "meal" of bratwurst, coffee, and a big cookie. The meal and the passing scenery as darkness falls does take some of the edge off of me, though I do later spill mustard down my baseball jersey I'm wearing - poetic justice for this day I suppose.

The ride is largely uneventful, though the car is certainly much chattier than it was at first. The two guys have vanished to the diner (the real one) while some others have done as well, and later returned. One man, obviously a New Yorker, talks loudly in the seat behind me on a phone. Apparently, it's his first time on the train in decades - he apparently works for CVS setting up software installations and travels quite a bit - tonight his journey takes him from DC to Lynchburg. He does talk favorably about the train on the phone, persuading his wife to consider it on the sleeper for an upcoming trip to Chicago. Another man he chats with in the seat next to him is also favorably impressed with the ride.

Our timekeeping this evening is excellent, and before long, we're coming into Charlottesville, where most of my co-passengers in this coach are destined. The coach in front of us is almost solid ATL, and also quite full. The front two coaches are less so, and contain passengers bound for points in Alabama, Mississippi, and Louisiana.

I've at least done my homework, and have no problem getting my bearings straight, to descend the steps to the Main Street bridge, and head West for one block to the Hampton Inn. Check in is smooth, and I get a room on the 4th floor - no room with a view of the tracks though - mine faces Main, so instead of trains, I hear buses and cars. Still a little sour, and plenty tired, I just take the opportunity to rest, retire, and try to start fresh in the morning.

The next day comes, and I have this notion to want to "catch" the nb Crescent we would have originally caught when it comes in. Due in at 7:15am, I call "Julie" only to find that this train is expected to be 3 hours late. Guess I'm glad "Plan A" got scrapped, as I wouldn't have boarded the train until 4:05AM!

I try unsuccessfully to wind back down again, only to give up, get up, wash up, and take advantage of the buffet breakfast. The fruit mix is quite good, but the eggs and coffee leave something to be desired. Finishing that up, I decide to take advantage of the cooler morning temperatures to explore this town I've never visited before, and I head off to Downtown. Charlottesville is an interesting town - lots of historic architecture, and despite some hilliness, it's still pretty walkable. I use the low pedestrian activity to get some photos of the area, and the transit running about, which on a Sunday, consists of only 2 lines - the free "Trolley" and the #7 bus, both of which are apparently new additions of service here. Following the jaunt into Downtown, I head West and explore some of the "Corner" area around the University. I then stop back in the hotel to soak up a few minutes of cool air before heading back to get my footage of the northbound Crescent coming into the Charlottesville station.

The bridge on Main Street over the tracks by the station is one magnificent GEM of a bridge. Unlike the kind I'm used to that obscure or altogether block ones view of the tracks, this one has a welcoming low rail - perfect for train watching. Even better, the bridge has a pair of alcoves that allow you to stand out of the way of pedestrian traffic while doing so. One of these alcoves gives a fantastic view down the tracks to help me ready for the upcoming shot.

By now, the passenger activity at Charlottesville is jumping, and the loud speaker alerts the passengers (and myself) that the Crescent is on its way. Soon enough, I see the lights of the lead P42, and ease into a good position to get a nice steady shot of #20 making its approach, carrying the usual consist - with #8505 as the Diner. It's 10:10am and the Crescent is 2 hours and 55 minutes late.

Following this, I decide I'm going to head back to my room, pack what little I unpacked, and relax until about 1130am for checkout, head back Downtown, get Lunch, and browse some of the bookshops there before getting my 2:47pm Cardinal back. I now call "Julie" back and with baited breath, follow the instructions to get a status report of the less than reliable Cardinal. Her reply...

"Train 5-0 was originally scheduled to arrive in Charlottesville, Virginia at 2:47PM. It is now estimated to arrive...

FIVE...

minutes late!"

phew!!!!

I check out at about 11:30am, and make my way out. I've calmed down a bit since yesterday, but I'm still pretty testy, which shows up most when I'm walking - why does it seem that EVERY time I hit any cross street or driveway entrance, some putz has to decide to turn their vehicle in or out of there?!? This includes parking lots to closed buildings that probably haven't had a car turn in there for 2 days! The instant I get there, here comes someone.

Anyhoo, I feel a need for a good Kebab, so I trudge up Preston Avenue to Sticks Kebob Shop. I'm pleased to see they're opening in 5 minutes, and at high noon, I'm in and ordering. The meal is good, if not nearly as filling as I'm used to from Afghan Kebob Cafe here in Baltimore. Ah well, I guess I need to eat light, since I have more walking ahead of me.

I hit the Downtown Pedestrian Mall again, and browse the bookstores - picking up a Charlottesville tour book, and a photo book called "Starlight on the Rails" a collection of night and twilight photos from the golden era of railroads - turns out its a pretty nice collection, even though historical "meat" is a bit scant in the text.

Following another scan of the mall, I decide I'm pretty much done for adding weight to my backpack, so I opt to stroll back towards the station to get a shot of #51 coming in. I tend to belabor my location though - first thinking of getting it as it arrives coming through town. Then I decide I'd prefer to get it crossing one of the rather lightweight trestles running through the University area. I head west, and begin to wait, and wait, and wait... or so it feels. The train was supposed to be a 1:55pm, but we're now pushing 2:15pm. I resign to heading back in the direction of the station through the Hospital zone. Coming back past the closed 11th Street crossing, I am able to spot the train in the distance, and in a few minutes, I get my shot - not the optimal one I wanted, but at least I didn't miss it altogether.

Now I'm back to the station to get my train. Recent calls to "Julie" have her stating she is unable to get information on this train, so I hope nothing has gone wrong. On my arrival at the station, there are quite a number of people there, and I stay inside just long enough to cool the sweat, and get a bottled water from the machine. Deciding I'd like the jump on this crowd, I then head out to the platform, as the reports are still the original 5 minutes late.

It's at this point that Amtrak kind of fouls up the procedure altogether, and throws things out of whack. The station intercom announces that passengers alighting between Culpeper and Baltimore should stand at location 4 to board the first car, while those for further destinations should stand between locations 2 and 3. Without hesitation, I head up the platform to location 4. After a few minutes, the train comes into view, and glides into the station. Those of us who followed the instruction are left standing next to the FUEL CAP of the stopped locomotive - the door for the first car is right smack dab between locations 2 and 3.

The crowd shifts, and the lazy folks who headed out last get the first spots in this "line." The alighting conductor, when I reach him, takes my ticket and distinctly tells me "TURN RIGHT" though he tells most others "TURN LEFT." Following his instructions, I enter a half-full car, find an obviously just vacated window seat, and opt for it. As I sit there for about 3 minutes, I then begin to hear various people entering the rear of the car "Where's seat 18? Where's seat 19?" I know what's ahead - sure enough, someone comes in with a seat assignment for the seat I'm in - though she simply opts to sit in the next seat forward. I now know that despite what the one Conductor told me, I should be in the front car - which by now is probably nearly full. I'm not in the mood to beg for a seat, so I simply stay put, blissfully ignorant - after all, I did as I was told.

Later one of the new Conductors makes a sweep of the car to make out seat checks, and asks me where I'm heading - When I tell him "Baltimore," sure enough he replies "You're supposed to be up in that car!" I try to respond, but choke up halfway through. He's cool about it though, says "No problem" and simply makes me out a "BAL" check in the midst of the sea of "PHL" "TRE" "NWK" and "NYP" checks.

We've coasted off, and I spend most of this time gandering out the window as we pass through town on the Buckingham Branch. Perhaps its my mood, but I'm really not feeling the slow meandering ride along this stretch of branchline trackage. Other than the town itself, there is little to see, aside from a few nifty bridge views. I spend the entire time hoping that we reach Orange (the junction back to the NS) soon, which seems to take forever in coming. The ride today is not much fun, and my drab Amfleet II is not much either. Aside from blue seating material, it's entirely vintage - brown carpeting, no outlets, TV monitors, and the deep cove lighting above the luggage racks.

Finally after an hour's ride on the Buckingham where we sometimes creep at 15-20 mph speeds, we finally reach Orange, and pick up the pace on the NS. I honestly think it would be FASTER to pull the train in past the station, back it onto the NS line, and pull up into the Crescent's platform. And I'm at a loss why there simply isn't a West to North switch connecting the two lines for this train.

19 minutes after reaching Orange, we make our stop at Culpeper and pick up 4 people, all of whome head to the front car. After we leave, I decide I'm going to at least try to give the Diner Lounge a try. After my BAL-CHI Cardinal trip last year, where the attendant forbade coach riders from entering the "Diner" section of the Dinette, I was a little hesitant to even try to sit in the new "Amdiner." My negative attitude was expecting to be snapped at, even though I'd heard and read coach riders were allowed to use the new service as well.

Entering the diner, the Service Attendant nicely asked "Here for Dinner?" On my affirmative reply, she gladly seated me at my own table and promptly gave me a menu. Though the Beef Short Rib sounded tempting, I was more game to try the Salmon and Rice, and placed my order, sort of giving a curious eye to the preparation involved on the "new" cars. Needless to say, the Attendant does have a lot of legwork involved to fill a single order, but she graciously served me a fresh brewed Iced Tea from a canister dispenser on the "supply" table, and set to work on the main course.

Six minutes after I ordered, I had an appetizing plate of hot food consisting of seasoned salmon, rice pilaf, sliced carrots, and a corn-bean mixture. Almost too hot to eat at first, I dug in gradually and took in the experience. For the first time during this entire trip, I was feeling at ease. The comfort food was indeed making me comfortable - well mostly. Our "Amdiner" was quite COLD, and the Attendant brought me a hot cup of coffee to help me warm up. I took my time enjoying it all, staying through Manassas and finishing desert through Alexandria.

After crossing the river, and taking my last sip while viewing the Washington Monument, I paid my bill and tipped the Attendant, thanking her for the good meal, and headed back to my seat as we approached DC. We stopped for a spell at the VRE L'Enfant stop to await a freight but soon resumed, pulling into Union in good time.

At 6:37pm, we had our Electric motor attached, and at 6:44pm, we were headed North again, as I timed the distance between commuter stops on this non-stop ride to Baltimore - BWI and Halethorpe were just over a minute apart! As we made our last twist in the B&P tunnels, I made my way out to the vestibule, and exited the Cardinal (both of which today had only 3 coaches!) at Penn. Our arrival in Baltimore was 22 minutes EARLY! :) Quite an improvement from my 4:14 am arrival here in February.

With 20 minutes to wait for the #11, I wait it out, and then head home - feeling a bit exhausted from all the walking I did. Not long after I get in am I just ready to retire. Thankfully, it's only fatigue and not the onset of an illness as it begins to feel.

While not as nice as Plan "A" or Plan "B" would have been in the best circumstances, "Plan C" was still an interesting adventure. Hopefully, on my next train journey, I can leave the attitude at home and enjoy it even more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back