Checkin Procedures in Chicago

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Girl Scout LEader

I am traveling out of Chicago on Train 5 -June 4 with my girl scout troop.

Can anyone give me some advise regarding checkin procedures, where we can get a bite to eat, how early should we go to the train and where do we go. Is it difficult to carry on a bag and stow it.

What class will you be in (Sleeper or coach), and where you are going, for the food, there are cafes to choose from at Chicago. After you enter what class you are in and where you are traveling to, I can help answer you’re questions. :)

There is a food court on the upper level of Union Station with a McDonalds and other fast food options. Connie's Pizza is a Chicago institution for deep dish pizza. I am sure your girls will like something that is offered in this area.

As far as check in procedures, if you booked with Amtrak as a group, they will have that in the computer. I would go to passenger services and see if they could pre-board your group on to #5 so you can all sit together.

Regualr suitcaes are no problem. Bulky camping type gear could be problematic. If you are bring this type of gear, look into checked baggage.

We are traveling coach - no sleepers - bought the tickets on the buy/one get one free. So we did not book thru the group department. - We are coming into the Amtrak station by bus and one van. Is there parking at the Chicago Amtrak station (long term) Is it safe and do you know the cost?

WHere do we check in with the tickets? I was planning to carry all the tickets my self? Do the girls (aged 15 have to have ID? Do the adults need ID?

Thanks. Carol Brown

Here's the parking information at Chicago station. I do not know how much is the cost a day.

It is very similiar to airline front desk to check-in. So you'll need to check-in first, along with suitcases that need to be check-in. For adults, you'll need to bring ID along. For girls, ID is not required. You can check the tickets all at once. There are red caps that can help you with the suitcases.

For carry-on which it is up to 2 bags, be sure to include with books to read, comfortable evening clothes, games, large pillow (Amtrak provides short pillows), etc.

I'm sure that you girls will have a blast on train and camp! Have a great trip!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back