Chicago and North Western Slumbercoach?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OlympianHiawatha

Engineer
I just saw a classic Jimmy Stewart movie, Anatomy of a Murder, and there was a scene of a C&NW late 50s era passenger train arriving at what was supposed to be a northern Michigan station. It was a short consist, with a diesel, a couple head end cars, a Slumbercoach and a regular coach. But to my knowledge, the C&NW never had any Slumbercoaches. Any ideas what was going on?

I just saw a classic Jimmy Stewart movie, Anatomy of a Murder, and there was a scene of a C&NW late 50s era passenger train arriving at what was supposed to be a northern Michigan station. It was a short consist, with a diesel, a couple head end cars, a Slumbercoach and a regular coach. But to my knowledge, the C&NW never had any Slumbercoaches. Any ideas what was going on?
Hollywood = Fiction

Probably duplex roomettes. That was a staggered type of room which could resemble the staggered end of the slumbercoach. Much nicer room, of course. And regular type charges.

For quick reference I checked my 1957 Official Railway Guide and found C&NW did operate some sleepers with 1 compartment, 3 double bedrooms and 16 duplex roomettes.

Back