CN Train ID

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

battalion51

Engineer
Just out of curiosity, since I'll be taking the City in July, how does CN identify trains? Do they use standard numbering like CSX (P058-19) or the crazy lettering like BNSF? Also are the engine crews required to call signals on CN? Thanks!

I can't say that I recall how the CN dispatcher addressed my train a little over a year ago, I think he just called us Amtrak 58, but I'm not sure. And of course, that may not have been proper protocall either.

I seem to think that they did indeed call the signals, but again that trip was many miles ago. :)

One thing that I do remember however, was that at least as of December 02, the defect detectors had not yet been reprogrammed. The still announced the former owner, IC. They were also the politest detecters I've ever heard, wishing the crew a nice day or have a safe trip, and things like that. :rolleyes: :)

Then again we all know what "Have a nice day" means when it's coming from corporate. :lol:

Do their detectors give you temp., axle count., and speed? That’s the one thing I don’t like about NS, their Detectors are boring, only axle and milepost, they also lack punctuality :lol: .

AMTRAK-P42 said:
Do their detectors give you temp., axle count., and speed? That’s the one thing I don’t like about NS, their Detectors are boring, only axle and milepost, they also lack punctuality   :lol: .
Matt might know better, but I don't think that they gave the temp, but I do believe they gave speed and certainly axle counts.

Of course half those detectors can't count anyhow. I've gotten many different numbers for the same consist over the length of a 1,000 mile trip. :eek:

My favorite though is when you get an odd number of axles for an Amtrak train. :blink: :unsure: Makes you want to go look and see what's dragging. :lol: :D

CSX for the most part will give you Milepost, Defect Detection, Length, and Axle. Not very interesting. We ocasionally get odd axle counts, at the next stop one time the Conductor asked me to walk back to the rear and make sure the last set of axles was still there. :lol:

battalion51 said:
CSX for the most part will give you Milepost, Defect Detection, Length, and Axle. Not very interesting. We ocasionally get odd axle counts, at the next stop one time the Conductor asked me to walk back to the rear and make sure the last set of axles was still there. :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back