coach vs. lower level seating

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lower-level Coach seating should cost no more the standard Coach seating (upper-level). Lower-level seating is intended for passengers who can not climb stairs, are in a wheelchair, or need to be withing short walking distance to a restroom. There is no difference in the accomodations; the seats are the same and there are no added amenities (excpet a good Coach attendant will get those passengers who can not walk throughout the train, meals from the Dining Car and drinks and snacks from the Cafe).

I have a disability and my ticket says I am getting that discount. Will I automatically sit lower level?

Not unless your ticket specifically says lower level or assuming that seats are available on the lower level and you ask for it.

My question is this, did you check the same train, on the same day (both the day you looked and the day you want to travel) with the same itenerary? The fares can increase based on all these factors. If you look through the fare book (which is pretty thick just for a handful of routes) there will be all kinds of fares with a pretty big range among them. The fare you get can change based on booking, time of year, and many other factors, but should not change from Upper to Lower Level.

I too have seen a difference in price between lower level coach and regular coach, on the exact same itinerary. Seeing how lower level space is limited, I bet Amtrak has to charge a premium.

It could be but that's not right for those who are disabled to have to pay more than those who sit upstairs. It's like Room H, it may be a bigger room, but the price is the same as that of a standard room (although they do have a way of verifying the disability, how I don't know).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back