Coast Starlight discussion 2023 Q4 - 2024

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just booked to travel from Union Station to Emeryville to see the kids for Christmas. This will be my husbands first Amtrak ride, and my 3rd (all on CS) Although we did a lot of train travel last year in Europe. Sadly I booked coach since we won’t be onboard overnight although I did bid for a roomette on the NB journey. We are going to pack some food since my “I’m getting older” diet won’t be a good match for the cafe car — and not sure if the dining car will be available to us.

Last edited:
If travelling on SB Starlight and getting off at Santa Barbara, is there still time for dinner in the diner? Scheduled arrival time into Santa Barbara is 6:12.

If travelling on SB Starlight and getting off at Santa Barbara, is there still time for dinner in the diner? Scheduled arrival time into Santa Barbara is 6:12.
Yes, even if it’s on time you will get dinner if you want. They like to do do early dinner seatings on the second day. However you might have to take the 5pm seating.

Does anyone know how the sleepers are marshaled on the SB CS? What side are even/odd roomettes are?

I'm curious when this trip is... (a speicifc date isn't needed, just the month). The starlight hasn't been running a 31 car during the fall. Just a 30 car and then a 40 car (dorm)

I think I’m in the same boat as you, want to book a CS trip the whole way north in February but really want to be on the coastal side in a bedroom!

I think I’m in the same boat as you, want to book a CS trip the whole way north in February but really want to be on the coastal side in a bedroom!

One alternative is the Family Bedroom, which has (small) windows on both sides. I think I'd probably head for the lounge car if I were dead set on seeing the ocean and my room was on the wrong side.

Thanks to all here, after joining the forum I’ve learned a LOT about schedules, consists and other subjects to help me with a planned LD trip on the Coastal Starlight from LA/SEA. Unfortunately after trying to plan this trip 4-5 (Feb/Mar 24) months out on a empty train, not being able to guarantee which side of the train to be on is a deal killer for the spouse and frankly for me as well. Betting over a grand on a 50-50 shot at winning is apparently not for us! Once again, thanks to all on this great forum for all the insight on train travel!

Thanks to all here, after joining the forum I’ve learned a LOT about schedules, consists and other subjects to help me with a planned LD trip on the Coastal Starlight from LA/SEA. Unfortunately after trying to plan this trip 4-5 (Feb/Mar 24) months out on a empty train, not being able to guarantee which side of the train to be on is a deal killer for the spouse and frankly for me as well. Betting over a grand on a 50-50 shot at winning is apparently not for us! Once again, thanks to all on this great forum for all the insight on train travel!
You can book a room in the transition sleeper car where the rooms are always on the same side!

The CSL runs next to the ocean only from about Santa Barbara to just past Vandanberg. From there on it’s all in land. When the Pacific Parlor car was part of the consist, sleepers were a better deal cause you had sole access to it. If there was a parlor car on all long distance routes it would really feel like a First class experience.

As of 2024 has Amtrak put the old parlor car back on the Coast Starlight yet? If,not, does anyone know if they plan to, or is it OOS forever?

The second week in April I'm on the Coast Starlight Seattle to Los Angeles. I've already booked an upper level roomette. For this trip I very much want to be on the left side (wrong side for most people) of the train.

Question #1: Will Amtrak using the Transdorm at that time (which is also just before the fares go up)?

Question #2: If I end up on the right side of the train, and since I won't know that until the train rolls into the station, can the sleeping car attendant arrange a room swap with someone making the full SEA-LAX trip -- hopefully while we're still in Seattle?

The second week in April I'm on the Coast Starlight Seattle to Los Angeles. I've already booked an upper level roomette. For this trip I very much want to be on the left side (wrong side for most people) of the train.

Question #1: Will Amtrak using the Transdorm at that time (which is also just before the fares go up)?

Question #2: If I end up on the right side of the train, and since I won't know that until the train rolls into the station, can the sleeping car attendant arrange a room swap with someone making the full SEA-LAX trip -- hopefully while we're still in Seattle?
There has not been a Transdorm on the starlight in recent months. I doubt that will change between now and the summer.

You can call and ask if a Transdorm room is available. They are very easy to find because its the only time when roomettes are numbered above 14. Transdrom roomette numbers (that are for revenue sale) are 18-24 (and the even-numbered one of these would be on the right).

Do not count on option 2 to work. That is really up to the SCA's discretion, and they are not required to set up a room change just for "convenience."

Back