Coast Starlight Parlour

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

F59 PHI

Service Attendant
In july, my parents will be coming with me on the coastr starlight, but while I am in sleeper, They will be in coach.

Can they come into the parlour as my guests?

The answer probably is that they would not be allowed to however you might want to post the question on the calrailfans yahoo group as I believe one of the contributors is a conductor on the starlate and could give you a better answer.

F59 PHI said:
In july, my parents will be coming with me on the coastr starlight, but while I am in sleeper, They will be in coach. Can they come into the parlour as my guests?
I have a feeling this is more of a decision for the parlour attendant - but if a guest or guests are not in sleeper, then ordinarily they would not be allowed to partake of Parlour amenities.

In fact, I believe there is a sign posted at the entrance about first class passengers only beyond this point. Perhaps somebody who has ridden more recently than I have can confirm that.

Sorry about that---let's hope that I am wrong, or maybe the attendant will "look the other way" about it. Especially if the train is not crowded.

I was on the Coast Starlight about three weeks ago. I don't recall seeing any signs (although I was not looking for one). However, the attendant (with the conductor) did run off someone who was not supposed to be in there.

I too would suggest the dining car and lounge. I would also ask the Parlor Car attendant if they could come in - he/she can only say "no".

Aloha

I must ask? Why arn't your parents also in sleeper? Have you considered a family room>

Well, When I originally wrote that post, I was Travelling from LAX to SEA, and they were going to get off at Sanfrancisco. Now that they are going all the way to seattle, and are getting an upgrade to another sleeper, this shouldnt be an issue anymore, but it still would be interesting to find out.

After december, my youngest turns 2. Playing with the res system it brings of a note that "recommended" sleeper capactity exceeded. However it does not give this for a family room (with 2 adults and 3 children). Is there an official limit or can you book five to a family room?

BMlock,

I've done 5 in a family sleeper before, last May on the Auto Train. Actually we had 7, but we had a standard room in addition to the family room. Traded in 50,000 GR points for the two rooms & the transportation of the van.

I put my mom and myself in the standard room, my sister-in-law along with her two sons 4 & 18 months, along with my 2 neices (my sister's kids) 6 & 10 in the family room.

My sister & brother-in-law drove to Florida, while my brother flew down later.

But bottom line we had 5 in the family room no problem. This of course assumes that either you or your wife plans to sleep in the same bed with the 2-year-old. This might not work for you though in another 2 years, but for right now, you're fine. Note, we didn't actually get a ticket for my 18-month-old nephew.

I figured that once you add a fifth over the age of two, that they might say something, although what can they do if they let you book it. I would think that the meal service would be more of the problem i.e. you can only get 4 meals with a family room, but since everyone would have a first class ticket, I guess it would be OK.

A few people have mentioned, including Battalion51, that Amtrak is starting to limit the number of meals for a room. However, I rather doubt that you'd have too much trouble getting an extra meal for a 2-year-old.

Even if you did get charged, it wouldn't that bad for a 2-year-old. It's not like their going to eat a NY Strip Steak on their own. :D

And since it's Auto Train I don't think they even have the capability to charge you for extra meals, while Government Subsidized could. Also, most LSA's aren't big enough jerks to charge a meal to a two year old (but stranger things have happened).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back