Condition of Amfleet Cars

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

P40Power

OBS Chief
Last october I took an enjoyable trip on the Mass Bay Rail Enthusist's Berkshire Foliage flyer from Pittsfield to Albany, NY and back. We were seated in the best Amfleet car I have ever been on or seen, an Acela Regional Business Class car. It was the only car of the type on the train and it was really nice. The seats were comfortable, the interior was spotless, the bathrooms were nice and large, and I really liked the interior color scheme, really inviting. Also the legroom was great for an Amfleet I. I didnt care much for the small windows, the Amfleet IIs are much better in this respect and the curtains would come off the little track they were on if you tried adjusting them. Also the ride of the car was great. As you walked through the rest of the 11 car special, the condition of the Amfleets greatly fluctuated. There were some really gross lookin dirty unrefurbished cars which looked like they havent been tuched since 1975 and some of the cars had leaky air conditioners dripping alot of water all over the place. There were a few Acela Coach Class Cars in the consist and they were nice like our business class car but they seemed more cramped. The two food service cars were the kind with out any tables and all coach seats, Amcafes If im not mistaken. They were weird, they were like half refurbished half not. The walls and service counter area were all in the original orange and brown scheme and so was the carpeting but the seats themselves were in a blue, not like the Acela cars but more like a metroliner coach. I really wouldnt like to sit in one of these cars with the constant traffic going in and out and lines forming by you and stuff. The exterior of the train looked good, Im a big fan of how the Amfleets look nice and sleek and shiny. The Acela paintjobs didnt do it for me and I thought the sharpest lookin car in the consist was the Phase III Amcafe, that one looked like a true Amtrak car to me. Most of the Cars painted in the Northeast Direct Phase IV didnt have any markings on them at all, which seemed odd. The locomotives were 2 P40s in the Phase IV and though I think this scheme is sharp lookin, it still cant compare to the original scheme that the units wore-that phase III scheme with the fade out stripes. The trip was real fun, the old B&A was very smooth though the Post Road Branch was rough as hell. The new Albany station was beaufitul. Made for a real enjoyable day on the rails :D

The referbished "Regional" Coach and Business Class cars are indeed very nice. The seats have softer cushions, larger restrooms, and new airconditioners. Hopefully, the rest of the fleet will receive the same treatment for such a beautiful piece of equipment. B)

P40Power said:
The Acela paintjobs didnt do it for me and I thought the sharpest lookin car in the consist was the Phase III Amcafe, that one looked like a true Amtrak car to me. Most of the Cars painted in the Northeast Direct Phase IV didnt have any markings on them at all, which seemed odd. The locomotives were 2 P40s in the Phase IV and though I think this scheme is sharp lookin, it still cant compare to the original scheme that the units wore-that phase III scheme with the fade out stripes.
Couldn't agree with you more with respect to Phase III.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back