connecting to the empire builder

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shanghaiamtrak

Train Attendant
im thinking of first taking the west bound zephyr from salt lake city, then connecting to the starlight (same day) then connecting to the empire builder in portland on the same day. i know i have brought up the subject before, but what do you think are the chances ill be able to make the connection in portland without being bussed? if i am bussed from eugene it will be ok but to be bussed from klamath falls would be a real bummer because of missing the nice scenery north of there...........

should i connect to the builder on the same day?

Your chances of making the connection in Portland are slim to none. Over the past week, the Builder was held twice so that a 1.5 hour late Starlight could connect, but there were also several times that the Starlight was just way too late. It looks like if the Starlight leaves Klamath Falls within an hour and a half of scheduled time, they'll just hold the Builder at Portland. Otherwise, you'll be hopping on the bus and riding up US 97 to meet the Builder.

EmpireBuilderFan said it best: VERY slim to none. If you want that connection to work out in Portland I would recommend staying one night in Portland and catching it the next day.

The way the Starlight runs that might even turn out to be a tight connection! :rolleyes:

This is a bit off the subject but it does have to do with the Empire Builder. Does anyone know, at least in theory, that, say, the Stevens Pass route is blocked or out of service for some reason that the Builder would be able to detour over the Stampede (ex-NP) line? Would BNSF allow that? Would it be a better option than busing people, say, between Seattle and Spokane or annuling the train altogether? Or would it be too slow and/or take up too much time?

I am not asking if the train was detoured over Stampede Pass that particular time; I am asking if it is possible under both Amtrak and BNSF rules if the train could be ever detoured onto that route?

What's more, if the derailment happened in near Essex (as the line passes through Glacier National Park and near the Isaak Walton Inn), that would have nothing to do with Stampede Pass (which is in Washington state between Auburn and Ellensburg--it was the route of the North Coast Limited and the Empire Builder from 1971 to 1981). A reroute around a deerailment on the Marias Pass line might involve going through Great Falls then southwestward to Helena, to Missoula, the former NP line to Sandpoint and then the regular route. The GN did this reroute on occasion in years past with its Builder, Western Star, and other trains during times of derailments, floods, etc. Such a reroute would probably create lateness more than 9 hours long.

Well #7 on the day of the reck detoured, as I mentioned in another post. It arrived into Seattle about 9 1/2 hours late. So while I dont know the exact route, we can assume its possible it was detoured over the Stampede pass route.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back