Creating New Web Page - Need Advice

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

denmarks

Train Travel Enthusiast
I enjoy playing with javascripts on my web site. It is just for fun and I am not trying to create a commercial site. I am in the process of creating tables of Amtrak train information. One table contains all trains and for each train the train numbers and station codes. Another table is the full station name for the station code.

One can select a train from a pull down menu and a window will open with train info such as train numbers and stations.

You can enter a train number and a window will open with train info such as train name and stations.

You can select a station and a list of trains stopping at that station will appear.

Would any of this actually be usefull to a train addict. What other searches would be usefull. What should I add to the table? Note that I will NEVER put arrival and departure times due to the work involved in maintaining them.

You could try adding train features like equipment (Superliner-Long distance-Horizon-Amfleet I) and sub categorize with equipment like sleepers, business class, lounges, and diners.

denmarks said:
I enjoy playing with javascripts on my web site. It is just for fun and I am not trying to create a commercial site. I am in the process of creating tables of Amtrak train information. One table contains all trains and for each train the train numbers and station codes. Another table is the full station name for the station code.
One can select a train from a pull down menu and a window will open with train info such as train numbers and stations.

You can enter a train number and a window will open with train info such as train name and stations.

You can select a station and a list of trains stopping at that station will appear.

Would any of this actually be usefull to a train addict. What other searches would be usefull. What should I add to the table? Note that I will NEVER put arrival and departure times due to the work involved in maintaining them.
Sounds really similar to what I have at http://amtraktrains.com/routes.php. A pretty simple couple of scripts that tap into some existing data on the server being used for something else.

A note about train arrival and departure times: I wanted to do this as a function of a bigger online application and was specifically denied the privilege by Amtrak's Director of Internet Marketing (at least I think that was her title). She also said that she knows some other "unofficial" sites are doing it, and intends to stop them when she gets more resources. So I guess it's not so much the work involved in maintaining the information, as it is Amtrak's desire for it to not happen outside of their control.

The rather amusing thing about this is that one could argue that by publishing their schedules, stations, etc. as widely as they do, they are legally in the public domain. I do find it rather difficult to believe that Amtrak can assert copyright or other rights in published times that their trains (somewhat) follow during their course of getting from A to B. But, I figured I'd rather not upset the powers that be, and so they got their way.

Anthony said:
Sounds really similar to what I have at http://amtraktrains.com/routes.php. A pretty simple couple of scripts that tap into some existing data on the server being used for something else.
It is similar except that I do not have existing data on a server. It is all manually inserted in a table. ALL of the data is downloaded when the page is loaded so it is probably not practical. I'm just doing it for fun.

Entering all of those stations with addresses and stuff is going to be REALLY fun. I wore out my wrists doing it :(

The basic page is ready for testing. There are no frills. Don't forget that it is straight javascript, no dbase language or server databases. I may add further refinements and train info later. Any technical people have my permission to look at the code and give me recommendations on improvements.

Click here for the page ==>CLICK

To see the rest of my site click here ==>CLICK

I noticed one small bug. When I checked Williston, ND, it showed that both parts of the Empire Builder stop there (correct), but it also shows that the Carolinian, Palmetto, Silver Meteor, and Silver Star stop there (not correct). While I wish that more trains stopped at Williston, ND, other than one each direction daily, sadly, it's not to be. Interestingly, the above trains show that they go from Philadelphia, PA, all the way across the country to Williston, and back to Baltimore, MD. That's a long way to go! ;)

Other than this small bug, it looks good.

On the Capitol Corridor trains 527/538 on weekdays and 729/738 on weekends make stops at Roseville, Rocklin and Auburn after Sacramento. Just something I noticed since I seem to wind up on these trains a lot lately but oterwise looks good so far.

I have made the above corrections. Note that on routes with many trains I show all stations even though they may not be stops for some trains.

The Silver Service Trains Go south of Jacksonville. The Silver Meteor and Star operate Via Orlando. The Palmetto Operates Via Tampa.

Specifically: 91/92/97/98 (North to South)

Palatka [PAK]

De Land [DLD]

Sanford [sFD]

Winter Park [WPK]

Orlando [ORL] (Walt Disney World)

Kissimmee [KIS]

Specifically: 89/90: (North to South)

Waldo [WDO] (Gainesville)

Ocala [OCA] (Silver Springs)

Wildwood [WWD]

Dade City [DDE]

Tampa [TPA]

Lakeland [LAK] (Zephyrhills)

All Trains: (South of Lakeland/Kissimmee)

Winter Haven [WTH] (Cypress Gardens)

Sebring [sBG]

Okeechobee (Not Served by 91/92)

West Palm Beach [WPB]

Delray Beach [DLB] (Tri-Rail Station)

Deerfield Beach [DFB] (Boca Raton)

Fort Lauderdale [FTL] (Port Everglades)

Hollywood [HOL] (Miami International Airport)

Miami [MIA]

One slight change on what Viewliner posted, Cypress Gardens no longer applies to Winter Haven, now that Cypress Gardens is closed.

My site now has train features and frequency and stops by train number. I am still polishing it and correcting bugs. Thank you for all of your help.

At some point I might separate out odd and even routes so the stations will be in sequence. My tables are fairly small since I lookup full station names and features using an abbreviation and a separate table. All of the pull down menus are created dynamically so by changing tables the pull down lists are changed.

Go to my web site and select Amtrak from the menu at the left.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back