Crescent discussion 2023 Q4 - 2024

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thomasville is Virtual Railfans members only.
View attachment 36425
I can't speak for the link you provided but the link here works fine and is free. The video windows do mention Virtual Railfan but the railcam can be viewed in real time and in full screen if you want to focus on one view or the other. Maybe the Thomasville CVB has a deal with Virtual Railfan. Regardless of why or how, the link works to view the railcam.

https://visitthomasvillenc.com/train-camera

I’ll be on the Crescent this June 9th. Does the train have its dining car back? Anything I should know about dining (or anything else) on the crescent?

I’m alighting at Gainesville GA. With a little research, it seems to be an average (crappy) car dependent town, but has anyone had luck with food (preferably cafes) within walking distance of the station? I will have a few hours to kill before my ride gets me.

I’ll be on the Crescent this June 9th. Does the train have its dining car back? Anything I should know about dining (or anything else) on the crescent?

I’m alighting at Gainesville GA. With a little research, it seems to be an average (crappy) car dependent town, but has anyone had luck with food (preferably cafes) within walking distance of the station? I will have a few hours to kill before my ride gets me.
No dining car back as of last weekend and I don't think June 9 will be the case either, but I have heard of summer as a rumor on this board.

I did a search on Google Maps. I noticed what I assume is a micro brewery a few blocks away, a Mexican place and everyone's favorite from my hometown of Greensboro, a Cookout fast food. I spent about 2 minutes on this so likely missed some other food options. Cookout is a 20 min walk. I also noticed a grill nearby. I suggest an internet search if no one local pipes up.

No dining car back as of last weekend and I don't think June 9 will be the case either, but I have heard of summer as a rumor on this board.
I don't think anything will happen before June. But of course we'll see whenever it happens.

I have two segments on the Crescent in late June and 1 July. I assume summer for Crescent dinner is 2 July. :)
You'll likely get Flex+ as is now being served on the LSL in a real Diner by then. At least that appears to be likely at present. But with these things you never know until the proverbial fat lady sings.

You'll likely get Flex+ as is now being served on the LSL in a real Diner by then. At least that appears to be likely at present. But with these things you never know until the proverbial fat lady sings.
I'll take that over having to stay in a private room. That is a nice option for some but I do like to sit in the dinner and talk to a stranger.

I'll take that over having to stay in a private room. That is a nice option for some but I do like to sit in the dinner and talk to a stranger.
Yes, I go to the Diner for at least one or two meals specially if it is not so crowded or the LSA is not deranged enough to stuff 4 people in a table leaving the other 9 tables unoccupied. ;)

Yes, I go to the Diner for at least one or two meals specially if it is not so crowded or the LSA is not deranged enough to stuff 4 people in a table leaving the other 9 tables unoccupied. ;)
I'll take 4 to a table just to have a conversation actually. I can eat plenty of meals with just my wife. Travel is special enough to treat it special.

I'll take 4 to a table just to have a conversation actually. I can eat plenty of meals with just my wife. Travel is special enough to treat it special.
I agree. I prefer others at the table. I have met some exceptional people from all over the world. And some interesting conversations. Even sat with a celeb or two over the years. Same with sharing a table in the lounge car. To me that is one of the perks travel by train. People rarely talk on an airplane.

I agree. I prefer others at the table. I have met some exceptional people from all over the world. And some interesting conversations. Even sat with a celeb or two over the years. Same with sharing a table in the lounge car. To me that is one of the perks travel by train. People rarely talk on an airplane.
I regret I can only like this once time. There needs to be a Super-Duper Like.

So my daughter has finally talked me into getting on plane to NJ in August and I’m terrified but was thinking maybe take Crescent back home to NO in a sleeper- why is it over 1100 dollars. Ridiculous and with Flex, old trains- what’s the deal with that- Crazy!!! also what is the price tracker site for deals on Amtrak.Thanks in advance. When the food was good- I didn’t mind but for food that taste like it’s out the 7-11 store!!!!

So my daughter has finally talked me into getting on plane to NJ in August and I’m terrified but was thinking maybe take Crescent back home to NO in a sleeper- why is it over 1100 dollars. Ridiculous and with Flex, old trains- what’s the deal with that- Crazy!!! also what is the price tracker site for deals on Amtrak.Thanks in advance. When the food was good- I didn’t mind but for food that taste like it’s out the 7-11 store!!!!
https://railforless.us/

Roomettes in August from Newark to NOL are between $500 and $600, not $1100. Perhaps you looked at a date when all Roomettes are sold out, so you were presented with the fare for a Bedroom.

Back