Cresent question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

whc6

Train Attendant
Last November, I took the Crescent from Salisbury NC to New Orleans. I was able to book a sleeper compartment on line, the booking went fine, tickets were delivered, and the trip was great.

I want to go back to New Orleans via the Crescent again, but the Amtrak website will not let me book from Salisbury, although it will let me return to Salisbury. I know the train still stops there. Any ideas?

Nope, because it will let you book the compartment from other departure points.

I've also tried multiple dates, and it still will not let me book it.

Are the other departure points that the system will allow you to book from further south then Salisbury?

whc6 said:
Nope, because it will let you book the compartment from other departure points.
I've also tried multiple dates, and it still will not let me book it.
I would just book over the phone by calling 1-800-USA-RAIL. Don't try to deal with Julie (automated reservationist), but talk to a live agent.

I just went to the amtrak website and punched in your info, and it came up just fine. I dont know what dates you were looking at, but it worked for some date I put in in April. Looks like you have a connection to make to the Crescent though. The sleepers came up like normal for the Crescent. Try it again, let me know if you need some help.

To answer one question, yes, you can book a compartment south of Salisbury. The funny thing is that the Crescent stops in Salisbury both ways, so there should be no need to make a connection. I know because I have boarded there and returned there.

The timetable still shows the regular stop at the same time as always. I would book over the phone, but I would lose any internet discount available. I also could board in Charlotte, but I'm not wild about leaving my car there.

I've booked numerous trips on the internet with no problem. This one has me perplexed.

whc6 said:
To answer one question, yes, you can book a compartment south of Salisbury. The funny thing is that the Crescent stops in Salisbury both ways, so there should be no need to make a connection. I know because I have boarded there and returned there.
The timetable still shows the regular stop at the same time as always. I would book over the phone, but I would lose any internet discount available. I also could board in Charlotte, but I'm not wild about leaving my car there.

I've booked numerous trips on the internet with no problem. This one has me perplexed.
I found your problem !

Dont use the default departure time leaving SAL. Enter 1:00 AM. It will then put you on the Crescent the whole way. By leaving the departure time at default (which I think is 6 am) the system looks for the train leaving closest to that time.

Nice catch there. B) The default is 6 AM and the reservations system tends to look for departure times after the time you enter, not before. So for those of you who board in areas where there is more than one departure per day (i.e. NEC) put an hour before your best time, because there may be a faster or better train 15-30 minutes before your most desired time.

Thanks for the help. Unfortunately, my wife decided she did not want to go to the Big Easy. We are now jetting to SFO.

Dang.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back