CSX at Fault for Auto Train Derailment 4/18/02

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amfleet

Engineer
About 5:08 p.m. eastern daylight time on April 18, 2002, northbound National Railroad Passenger Corporation (Amtrak) train P052-18, the Auto Train, derailed 21 of 40 cars on CSX Transportation (CSXT) track near Crescent City, Florida. The train derailed in a left-hand curve while traveling about 56 mph. The train was carrying 413 passengers and 33 Amtrak employees. The derailment resulted in 4 fatalities, 36 serious injuries, and 106 minor injuries. The equipment and track costs associated with the accident totaled about $8.3 million. The National Transportation Safety Board determines that the probable cause of the April 18, 2002, derailment of Amtrak Auto Train P052-18 near Crescent City, Florida, was a heat-induced track buckle that developed because of inadequate CSX Transportation track-surfacing operations, including misalignment of the curve, insufficient track restraint, and failure to reestablish an appropriate neutral rail temperature.
Full NTSB report can be found here.

Yeah I read that also. We pretty much knew though that was the cause after the interview with Engineers from 98, 52, and the OUC Coal Train.

I'm hoping all those law suits against Amtrak will be dropped, if they haven't already. Goes to show that some lawyers are just in it for the money without waiting for the facts.

I still think it's one of those things where the only real thing that it can be blamed on is mother nature. It's not CSX's fault, Amtrak's, the Engineer's or anyone. Split happens.

Amfleet said:
I'm hoping all those law suits against Amtrak will be dropped, if they haven't already. Goes to show that some lawyers are just in it for the money without waiting for the facts.
Not a chance. :angry:

They'll still go after Amtrak, simply to try and win more money. Higher verdict, means more money in their pocket. They'll say that the engineer should have seen it sooner, or he should have stopped differently, or even that maybe he should have left 10 minutes later or sooner so the problem wouldn't have happened or another train would have derailed first.

People should stop using such accidents to vie for discontinuances of passenger trains, trying to say that Amtrak is not safe enough. Amtrak is a very safety-conscious company, and I always feel safe on it. I know things happen, but I am more likely to survive a train derailment (a admittedly spectacular as they can be) than an airline crash.

You are more likely to survive a derailment than you are any kind of accident whether it be train, car, or airline (except maybe ship). The rails are definitely the best way and the safest way to go.

battalion51 said:
Damn lawyers.
As one of America's future lawyers I take offense to that...sort of. I Could get into the mechanics as to how the suits could be refiled against CSX or if they proceed against Amtrak how CSX could be required to indemnify Amtrak for their losses but I'll save you from that :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back