CSX Derailment in Charleston

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

battalion51

Engineer
I just read a post over at Trainorders.com that says a CSX Military train has derailed in a Yard in North Charleston (most likely Bennett Yard). P053-22 is reported as being 10.5 hours late, stalled out by the derailment. P052-22 was brought back to Savannah where it rerouted over the S-Line to go north to Lorton (no word yet on whether pilots were needed or not). 91/92 were not affected heavily since they run the S-Line anyway. 53 is expected to arrive in Sanford at 7 PM this evening, ouch. Last report on 97 shows them out of Fayetteville at 9:02 AM, 4:59 late, it appears that 89 made it through before the derailment, last report out of Lakeland this morning at 6:17. Looks like the School Boy Special got hit, they're 3:20 late out of Richmond. I'm trying to get in contact with sources, and will post as I get more information.

The derailment of a CSX freight train carrying military explosives is causing problems for Amtrak passengers up and down the East Coast. "Reports from the scene are that it was a train containing Class 1 explosives from the military," Amtrak spokesman Dan Stessel tells WTOP.
The full story from WTOP Radio Network.

Well that's certainly one way to help avoid delays. :lol: I was discussing the lateness issue of the trainset that was P053-22, and we decided it'd be about Wednesday of next week before the trainset got back on time. Probably not a bad move on Amtrak's part with this being low season and all.

Sources within Amtrak tell me that P053-22 is still in Florence at this time. The train is waiting for CSX pilots. The train will be rerouted to Columbia, utilizing former ACL line that stretches from Lane to Columbia, and then will head south toward Savannah on the S-Line. They will rejoin the A-Line at Savannah for the remainder of the trip to Sanford. It is not known whether the crew will out law or not, but from my perspective appears likely.

I just spoke to an Engineer friend in Jacksonville who's workin the board, he's been called to take deadhead equipment into Miami. He went on duty 10 minutes ago, but the equipment hasn't arrived yet. They are going to run the S-Line to Lakeland, cut west to Auburndale and then continue to Miami, since that route is faster than the A-Line through Orlando. He's going to call me and let me know what equipment this was, and which line they will run. I'll continue to update you all as I get more information.

Stuff is still piled up from this CSX derailment. At about 1:30 this afternoon I got a call from a Conductor friend who said he had a 3 engine 16 car train (now that's a little chunk of a train right there). The train was combined equipment from P097-22 and P089-22. Coming into JAX this morning the train had 12 RoadRailers on the rear (97's equipment led 89's) for an axle count of 102 axles into JAX, 76 on the flip side. Thanks to the tip I was able to convince my Mom to take me down to see the train as he came through, and I did. He had Engines 13, 24, and 96 in the lead, man was it sweet to hear all those motors rev up as he came out of a 45 MPH zone. :lol: Just one of those days it pays to have connections.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back