Cycle 4 menu

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I can say as a food snob I have yet to have a bad dining car meal on Amtrak. Obviously some were better than others, and some were outstanding.

The best grits I have ever eaten (Brennan's included) were on the Crescent a couple of years ago. I had a fine dinner on the Coast Starlight last month, and excellent catfish on the Crescent.

I was disappointed a bit with the breakfast on the Cascades to Vancouver. Obviously pre-made (French Toast), heated up by an overworked steward. My wife was a bit disappointed also. However, the coffee and view was outstanding.

Food is an important part of the sleeping car experience. Amtrack does not need to cut corners with the quality of dining.

Do they have decaf coffee in the mornings for sleeper car guests. I think most restuarants and hotels now do, but wondered if they did on Amtrak.

Thanks!!!

MrFSS said:
Do they have decaf coffee in the mornings for sleeper car guests. I think most restuarants and hotels now do, but wondered if they did on Amtrak.
Thanks!!!
Only those instant packets that you add to hot water. I also find they make great instant iced coffee as it will dissolve in cold water too.

The California San Joaquin trains always have a special turkey with all the trimmings offering around Thanksgiving. As batallion noted, it would be nice if the other trains did as well.

Regarding the decaf coffee - I was always told to ask for it in the cafe car and show my sleeper ticket to the attendant. It always worked for me.

jccollins said:
The California San Joaquin trains always have a special turkey with all the trimmings offering around Thanksgiving. As batallion noted, it would be nice if the other trains did as well.
The Southwest Chief had this around Christmas time. (I don't recall if there was such a meal during Thanksgiving.) It was called the "Holiday Dinner" and had turkey with gravy, cranberry sauce, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back