Decisions... .decisions.... which route!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

whistler

Service Attendant
Starting to map out my November vacation. The outbound is simple SYR-NYP-WAS. But going home I could just reverse the couse, boring, I can take the Cardinal to CHI then the Lake Shore Limited to SYR, or the Capitol to CHI etc.. Think I will do coach on both just for the heck of it.

So opinions would be welcome on which you would do all things being equal, which with rail sale they are.

TIA

Well at that time of the year, November, either route would probably be ok, since the best scenery would be in the dark by the time you reach it for both runs. At present, at least, the Cardinal is single level equipment while the Capitol is of course Superliner equipment.

However if you could reverse things, doing the turn through CHI to WAS first, then I would take the Cardinal. While the Capitol is nice and does have some great scenery, the Cardinal's trip through the New River Gorge is spectacular. But again in November if you are going west bound it will be dark before you get there.

I miss the cardinal being in Superliner. I always thought that was a treat, but I guess Amtrak made the right decison on cutting the Superliners because of equipment shortages. I always enjoy the view from the Sightseer lounge, and thats probably what I miss the most about this train going single level.

AMTRAK-P42 said:
I miss the cardinal being in Superliner. I always thought that was a treat, but I guess Amtrak made the right decison on cutting the Superliners because of equipment shortages. I always enjoy the view from the Sightseer lounge, and thats probably what I miss the most about this train going single level.
Well hopefully, if Congress does the right thing and gives David his 1.8B, then he can get enough Superliners out of Beach Grove. If that is the case then the Cardinal can once again return to Superliner cars.

After all we need the Viewliners back here on the east coast.

Nonetheless, I last rode the Cardinal when it was Superliner. I've yet to do it with single level equipment, but I can't imagine that it is as nice running through the New River Gorge with an Amcafe as opposed to a Sightseer lounge.

AlanB said:
However if you could reverse things, doing the turn through CHI to WAS first, then I would take the Cardinal.
Thanks, I hadn't looked at that direction. Well worth a look.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back