Diesel Fuel

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

capltd29

Lead Service Attendant
Does anyone know what, if there is a difference between locomotive diesel fuel and the diesel fuel in cars and trucks. My mom has a VW beetle TDI (diesel powered) I just wanted to be able to say that we ran on the same fuel. Normally she uses 40 cetane.

I believe it's the same stuff. The only real difference is the engine size (16 cylinders in an Amtrak pony) and how much it burns you burn probably 20-30 mpg, it burns 2 gpm.

There are different grades of diesel fuel, although I'm not sure just what the differences are. I don't think however, that trains use the same grade as cars & trucks do.

Isn't there a "regular" diesel and then the red "off-road" diesel...?

Red diesel fuel up here in Massachusetts is for home heating oil. It is just normal diesel fuel died red so that truckers cant cheat and put the heating oil in their vehicles for fuel because it is cheaper, that is if someone catches you with the red fuel in your fuel tank.

P40Power said:
Red diesel fuel up here in Massachusetts is for home heating oil. It is just normal diesel fuel died red so that truckers cant cheat and put the heating oil in their vehicles for fuel because it is cheaper, that is if someone catches you with the red fuel in your fuel tank.
Using heating fuel in trucks is old trick to evade the highway fuel tax. The difference can be 20 cents or more per gallon. A trucking company heats it's warehouse with oil and diverts some of that oil to the trucks. Just do not get caught. The feds and the states take a very dim view of that kind of cheating.

As far as I know, heating oil, truck diesel fuel, and railroad diesel fuel are the exact same stuff.

There is a difference in the composition of diesel fuel used on the highways and in nonroad, locomotive and marine fuels.

Current EPA regulations limit sulfur content in highway fuels to 500 parts per million. In 2006 the sulfur limit in highway fuel will be reduced to 15 ppm, and in 2007 the 500 ppm limit will apply to off road fuels. In the year 2012 the 15 ppm limit will be extended to locomotive and marine applications.

Prior to the EPA regulations the limit was (and currently is for locomotives) .5%, or 5000 ppm.

P40Power said:
Red diesel fuel up here in Massachusetts is for home heating oil.  It is just normal diesel fuel died red so that truckers cant cheat and put the heating oil in their vehicles for fuel because it is cheaper, that is if someone catches you with the red fuel in your fuel tank.
Red dyed diesel is tax-exempt fuel for off-road such as heating, tractors, etc. I think it is exempted for trains because it doesn't ride on road. However, I'm not so sure about it despite I think I've heard about previous topics about freight trains for gov't money. Maybe Miami Joe will peek into the tank if it is red or not.

Happy 4th! B)

Iv'e seen both types in the sightglasses, but red seems to be the flavor of the month! :lol:

We change vendors every 3 months. I'm only guessing, but Amtrak probably buys at a locked price, similar to the futures market.

Miami Joe B)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back