Documents

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Guest_Gingee

I was searching about documents on a cruise and someone mentioned that you need a birth certificate and photo id for anyone l8 and over. Is that correct?

I forgot to add about the requirements for Amtrak travel. Is the birth certificate and photo id and the age l8 and over the required documents needed?

You do need a valid government issued photo id card and birth certificate to travel on a cruise. Amtrak only requires a valid government issued photo id to travel on its trains; the only exception to Amtrak's requirement is if you are going into Canada on the train you will also need to present a valid passport or birth certificate.

jccollins said:
You do need a valid government issued photo id card and birth certificate to travel on a cruise. Amtrak only requires a valid government issued photo id to travel on its trains; the only exception to Amtrak's requirement is if you are going into Canada on the train you will also need to present a valid passport or birth certificate.
What about international travellers? Our passport I assume?

Kath2003 said:
jccollins said:
You do need a valid government issued photo id card and birth certificate to travel on a cruise.  Amtrak only requires a valid government issued photo id to travel on its trains; the only exception to Amtrak's requirement is if you are going into Canada on the train you will also need to present a valid passport or birth certificate.
What about international travellers? Our passport I assume?
Yup, that will work just fine as ID. :)

I believe I read recently that within the next couple of years, a passport will be required for all cross-border travel; that is, a birth certificate and ID will no longer suffice.

Anthony said:
I believe I read recently that within the next couple of years, a passport will be required for all cross-border travel; that is, a birth certificate and ID will no longer suffice.
That is correct, Anthony.

I believe that it goes into effect in 2007, unless they don't pass the bill.

I took a cruise a couple of years ago with a bunch of friends, and we needed a birth certificate and a government issued ID to disembark the ship at foreign ports. Most of us, including myself, were only 17 at the time. So if the person under 18 isn't significantly under 18 then i would advise making sure they have both a government ID and a birth certificate.

I also suspect that long before that (2007) we will have the equivalent of a national ID card. Whether they implement the forehead holograph/barcode or maybe the implanted ID-chip remains to be seen. I wouldn't bet either way right now.

AlanB said:
Anthony said:
That is correct, Anthony.

I believe that it goes into effect in 2007, unless they don't pass the bill.
The new requirements are covered by regulation and go into effect in three stages.

12/31/2005: all U.S. citizens traveling by air or sea to or from the Caribbean, as well as Central and South America, will have to show passports.

12/31/2006: all U.S. citizens traveling by air and sea travel to or from Mexico and Canada will have to show passports.

12/31/2007: all air, sea and land border crossings with Mexico and Canada will have to show passports.

I forgot to sign in (being a member).

So to travel Amtrak I have to get my daughter a government photo id?

She will be using a birthcertificate and a high school id for the cruise.

Gingee01 said:
I forgot to sign in (being a member).
So to travel Amtrak I have to get my daughter a government photo id?

She will be using a birthcertificate and a high school id for the cruise.
No, she'll be fine as long as she's under 18. If she's asked for ID, just show her birth certificate and your photo ID as her parent.

Only if she were traveling alone, would she need to have a photo ID of her own.

Having done some traveling outside the US (Mexico and Brazil) with church mission teams that included minors, it occurs to me that if you are not traveling with BOTH parents of the child, some countries may also require a notarized permission (from the absent parent) for the child's travel. Just a head's up. The cruise line should absolutely be able to tell you the requirements of all the countries that the ship will visit on the cruise. And the U.S. State Department traveler's website is one I would for sure visit prior to the trip, for their latest advisories. Most other countries also have web sites with very useful and valuable information for travelers to their countries.

I did call the cruise line and they said a high school photo id and birth certificate is fine and now it sounds like it is fine with Amtrak. Now starting next year, that will be different.

Back