Does anyone have a menu with current prices?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Guest_Gingee

Still debating. Does anyone have a menu for the diningroom on the Empire with current prices?

I think things averaged about $12-15 or so for dinner, plus of course there is dessert! Lunch maybe $7-9 (plus dessert!) Breakfast about the same as lunch.

If you are in a sleeper, meals are included, and that means the dessert, etc. (just not alcoholic bev) It was great fun to order what we wanted without adding it up in our heads or skipping dessert (can you tell I am a BIG fan of thier desserts!) and just enjoy.

Gingee- just book a sleeper!! It was 100% worth it, and you wont regret it!

Haha. I guess I am trying to convince my husband to spend the extra $1000 or two for a trip.

Here is some information from Amtrak.com regarding Dining Room operations:

Dining Cars
Most of Amtrak's long-distance trains include a full-service dining car, which serves hot meals prepared onboard for breakfast, lunch and dinner to both First Class and Coach Class passengers. All meals for First Class passengers are included in the price of their train ticket while coach class passengers may dine for an additional charge. Hours of operation of food-service cars vary depending on train operation.

On long-distance trains, we use a rotating menu plan, ensuring a variety of meal selections. The system allows passengers to choose from one menu on their outbound trip and enjoy a different menu on the return trip.

Additionally, different menus are typically offered on different long-distance trains. In most cases, passengers who spend several days traveling can enjoy a variety of selections and an improved quality in the entrees served.

Special menus are available for children.
You can view one menu that is currently being cycled on long distance trains by Clicking Here. The other menus are similar in that a good selection between meat, chicken, and seafood is always available on every menu. Bon appetit!

Thanks Collins. That is what I wanted to see. I am trying to figure out how much we would spend for dinner, lunch and breakfast if purchased separately. Where did you find this info? I couldn't find it on the Amtrak site.

I have gotten pretty good at wading through the pages on Amtrak's site over the years to quickly find what I am looking for. If you are not used to the site, it can take a while to find what you are looking for, although it has gotten better since the site was redesigned last November.

If you want to eat cheap stop by a restaurant or grocery store before you board the train and get you some food. Just pack a small cooler with ice for your cold items and enjoy your meal at your seat if you are traveling in coach. Canned Pepsi,s are $1.50 each in the lounge car and i can get a 12 pack for around $3.00 if they are on sale and usually someone has drinks on sale in my city.However do not carry any outside food or drink into the lounge or dining car amtrak and the FDA wont allow it. Potato chips, cookies and sandwiches are cheaper at the grocery store than on amtrak.

With regular gas at $2.60 per gallon and climbing here in Ga the only way i can afford to go to a movie, Braves game,Falcons game,Six Flags, The water park or a concert is to buy my snacks at a dollar store,target or walmart and sneak them in.These fuel prices are killing the consumers.Fortunately amtrak is still reasonable.

We did take our own snacks and drinks this year but still ate in the dinner. It was awful. Now we did get a good burger on the return route (NYC to Washington D.C.). From there on home it was same yucky stuff. I think the people didn't know how to microwave their burgers.

We did take our own snacks and drinks this year but still ate in the dinner. It was awful. Now we did get a good burger on the return route (NYC to Washington D.C.). From there on home it was same yucky stuff. I think the people didn't know how to microwave their burgers.
Sounds like you were on The Cardinal. If that is your only experience, then you haven't eaten in an Amtrak diner, yet. That was a Cafe Car.

It is my understanding that as a first class passenger meals are included as part of your passage.

I'm actually wondering what the adult beverage selection is like. I do enjoy a good Manhattan in the evening.

It is my understanding that as a first class passenger meals are included as part of your passage. I'm actually wondering what the adult beverage selection is like. I do enjoy a good Manhattan in the evening.
Meals that come with the sleeper service DON'T include alcohol. And, I think, they only have wine for sale. Someone else may correct me on that.

I can appreciate them for including my meal with passage, I fully expected to purchase libation. What time do they stop serving?

jccollins said:
Here is some information from Amtrak.com regarding Dining Room operations:
Dining Cars
Most of Amtrak's long-distance trains include a full-service dining car, which serves hot meals prepared onboard for breakfast, lunch and dinner to both First Class and Coach Class passengers. All meals for First Class passengers are included in the price of their train ticket while coach class passengers may dine for an additional charge. Hours of operation of food-service cars vary depending on train operation.

On long-distance trains, we use a rotating menu plan, ensuring a variety of meal selections. The system allows passengers to choose from one menu on their outbound trip and enjoy a different menu on the return trip.

Additionally, different menus are typically offered on different long-distance trains. In most cases, passengers who spend several days traveling can enjoy a variety of selections and an improved quality in the entrees served.

Special menus are available for children.
You can view one menu that is currently being cycled on long distance trains by Clicking Here. The other menus are similar in that a good selection between meat, chicken, and seafood is always available on every menu. Bon appetit!
Hi guys and gals

Me and my wife just got back about 3 weeks ago from L.A. on the Sunset Limited and the Texas Eagle. I have one of their menu`s that I keeped for a sovernier, and the prices are as much as , anywhere from $1.00 to $2.75 per item, more than listed on Amtrak`s site, web, menu.

444 Marlin

Yes we were on the Cardinal. Neet experience but needs a major redo.

Some of the windows were really icky - mainly between the cars.

rands said:
I can appreciate them for including my meal with passage, I fully expected to purchase libation. What time do they stop serving?
In the dinning car you can only get beer and wine. The cafe car does have some other hard alcohol choices, although I never really paid attention to just what they have.

Typically the dining car stops serving dinner around 8:00 to 8:30, depending on how full the train is and major stops. The cafe car usually remains open till 11:00 pm.

Typically the dining car stops serving dinner around 8:00 to 8:30, depending on how full the train is and major stops. The cafe car usually remains open till 11:00 pm.

Thank you Alan, Your information has heen very helpful. I find myself looking foward to writing a review when we return home from our trip.

Back