DOne with the SUper train?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jon Parker

Does anyone know when the Super star will be the Silver Star again?

I have seen such poor performance from this train.

When will I be able to catch some nighttime Meteor action through Va again?

Track work should be finished this week and trains resume running on the 24th.

Sorry, but we don't have enough time or people to work the trains properly. Our new facility manager has not replaced lost personel, has moved the workforce from running train to PM and the cars show it. :(

Miami Joe

Umm, Joe, the restart of normalcy got pushed back to July 7. T&E and OBS bids just went up today, so we've still got another couple of weeks of this.

Well, it IS a lot longer than a standard 91-92, and requires at least two position stops at each station since they can't handle sleeper pax and coach pax at the same time with such a long train. We even had to do one more stop once to do baggage first, if I recall, on the WPK-FTL-WPK trip we did last week. And all the track work isn't helping one bit. I just checked RailSale, and 97-98 are NOT showing up there yet, so it won't be real soon, I am guessing.

I was supposed to go back to work today and overslept! :rolleyes: Just couldn't get moving!

But, my day was a real "pig!"

I was replacing my sink in the bathroom yesterday and when I got home found the cabinet damaged. Home Depot closed at 8pm. I think this was why I overslept! :D

So, I got up this morning and took my mom to a doctors appointment. Results were good. Came home played with the dog and 20 minutes later, he's acting strange. He peed, pooped and threw up all over the house. I think he had a small seizure, cause he was out of it for most of the day. I was really worried about him.

I go to HD to return the cabinet and get jerked around for 1 1/2 hours by ignorant people and it starts raining hard. I wait outside for 30 minutes and catch a break in the rain. The parking lot is flooded about 6 inches, but I figure I can make it home in 5 minutes. The particle board won't get wet .

I run thru the rain and the puddle, load the cabinet in the wagon with the door up in the air and jump in the car. Turn the key and the car is dead.

Right around now, it starts pouring again. TV said 1 inch in 20 minutes. I'm almost ready to cry. I'm soaked, shoes flooded and cold.

I grab change and head for the pay phone. Call mom to call AAA and everytime the lightning goes off, I loose my connection.

Anyway, it took me 3 hours, instead of an hour. :angry:

I'm going to work tomorrow!!!! :lol:

Miami Joe

battalion51 said:
Umm, Joe, the restart of normalcy got pushed back to July 7. T&E and OBS bids just went up today, so we've still got another couple of weeks of this.
It is indeed July 7th! That is the day the jobs for us in OBS were abolished for the "Super Train." And that "Meteor" can't come back fast enough!!! This overnight in NYC is a real pain in the butt, when one is used to turning around the same day and coming back home (I like the quick turn around BTW). The OBS bids were posted last Sat the 19th. I am not sure of T&E, though. C-mon "Meteor" let's go!!! More "Meatball" fun!!!! :D

I'm looking forward to having the "Meteor" come back. I have tickets for 98 on the 11th of July and it scared me a little when I heard that the "Super Train" had been extended. I'm glad it's looking like things will go back to normal on July 7.

I was actually kinda hoping for an extension to the 20th of July, that way I could be able to take 92 to WAS and 29 to CHI, for the price of the Sunset and the City of New Orleans.

It's the combined Silver Meteor/Silver Star. Because of track construction between Savannah and Jacksonville Amtrak was forced to combine the two trains into one that follows the route of the Silver Star (it has different hours than any other train, but is closest to the Star's schedule). The employees started calling it the Super Train a few weeks before it went into effect so that's the pet name most are using for the change.

I think it would have been cool to ride!! :)

When you think of all the people on that train, compared to a regular train, it's got to be a party.

When people are that crammed together, they start pairing off to the sleepers or hang all night in the lounge car.

The only way I would go, is if they didn't know who I was! :ph34r:

The last guy who rode the train worked his ass off and had to listen to everyone's gripes! :ph34r:

P.S. Don't forget the "dancer!"

Miami Joe <_<

Thank God it's back, now I don't have to reschedule my trip! Now if the LSL gets to NYC from Chicago on time I'm set -- got there 2 mins early the other day. I bet some of the station workers are still laying on the platform in shock over that one.

Probably not the first time it's happened, and probably won't be the last. I've heard stories where passengers have aletered their Conductor about a close connection, and the Conductor has called A Tower (in New York) or K Tower (in Washington) requesting a cross platform transfer for that passenger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back