Downeaster May Be Extended Beyond Portland

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amfleet

Engineer
Talk of bringing Downeaster passengers to Rockland this summer
AUGUSTA (June 2, 2004): There's work underway between the state, Guilford Rail and the Northern New England Passenger Rail Authority Board to provide train service to Rockland for at least two summer festivals this year.

Gov. John Baldacci and David Fink, president of Guilford Transportation, jointly announced today an agreement to permit Amtrak to operate Downeaster trains from Boston to Portland.

Baldacci also announced a pilot project for the summer to operate excursion trains from Portland, Brunswick and Rockland along Guilford's lines and the Maine Department of Transportation's Rockland branch.
Full article can be found here.

Thanks for the link Jon. I'm hoping that they do extend the Downeaster, as it would certainly be another step in the right direction. I'll have to give a copy of this story to a friend of mine who does use the Downeaster to visit family in Maine during the summer, so an extension to Augusta would make the trip easier for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back