Empire Builder Trip??

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

John

I am considering a trip on the Empire Builder in March--Chicago to Seattle or Portland. Ultimate destination is Phoenix, but time does not allow rail all the way. The fare and sleeper charges on the Empire are quite a bit better than the other Amtrak routes. So, I can fly from either Portland or Seattle to Phoenix and satisfy a long held wish to ride the Empire Builder.

A concern however is obviously the weather at that time of year. I am wondering if I will just see the black of night and the white of snow!! On a trip that long is it boring??

Any experienced Empire riders who can offer their comments????

I visit here occasionally and don't usually write..but I must comment on that report and pictures..I haven't taken a train trip in about 8 years (that was BOS-CHI-OAK and back)..and those pictures have me hankerin' to ride again..thanks very much for that.

Jim

I would say that you could expect any kind of weather in April. Could be rainy. Could be sunny. I took the route twice and really enjoyed it. Take a book, play some cards. Look at the scenery. It should be light until at least 6pm then, right?

I took that same trip last March and had a great variety of things to look at. Yes Glacier park was still under snow but was beautiful. And the dusting of snow still on some of the prairies made them more interesting than usual. It was a great trip and I would do again in March since the train is less crowded then.

Thanks--that was the info. that I was looking for. I know that the weather is a coin-flip at that time of year, my concern was if it is snowing or if there is a lot of snow on the ground, does that make it a boring ride or does it enhance it. You addressed my concern!

WOW! Your photos are amazing. We'll (my husband and I) be on the Empire Builder in late June (CHI to SEA) and I'm already so excited. This will be our first trip to the left coast -I've never been west of Denver, but my husband did visit the Dakotas quite a few years ago.

Thanks for sharing.

Back