European High-Speed Rail Expands Across the Continent

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I still see a lot of yellow and dashed yellow lines on the map. When those lines turn orange, then I'll believe the Europeans are "railroading." Still, they're far ahead of where we (meaning North Americans) will ever be even 40 years from now.

I still see a lot of yellow and dashed yellow lines on the map. When those lines turn orange, then I'll believe the Europeans are "railroading."
Just makes me wonder what you think is going on now then? A lot of those lines are just theoretical at the moment, and in the case of the extra Paris Lyon line thats the first I have heard about it, although the existing LGV to Lyon is probably not far off capacity at the moment.

It's called 'planning' and in the case of railway projects it is always a good idea.

I still see a lot of yellow and dashed yellow lines on the map. When those lines turn orange, then I'll believe the Europeans are "railroading."
Just makes me wonder what you think is going on now then? A lot of those lines are just theoretical at the moment, and in the case of the extra Paris Lyon line thats the first I have heard about it, although the existing LGV to Lyon is probably not far off capacity at the moment.

It's called 'planning' and in the case of railway projects it is always a good idea.
The headline is in the present tense, not the future. When significant high-speed international connections exist between Spain, France, and Italy, not just from France into Benelux and parts of Germany, will the assertion that high-speed rail is expanding across Europe be true. Although such connections are on the drawing board, they won't be in existence for years to come, at least in some if not most cases.

The headline is in the present tense, not the future. When significant high-speed international connections exist between Spain, France, and Italy, not just from France into Benelux and parts of Germany, will the assertion that high-speed rail is expanding across Europe be true. Although such connections are on the drawing board, they won't be in existence for years to come, at least in some if not most cases.
The mistake you make is to assume Europe is all one country...... The French will always look after themselves, same as everyone else does.

The line between France and Spain is under construction, as is another part of the Eastern France LGV, but the way it works is that you join up all the various pieces to make a network,

Still, when you think the first LGV line didn't open till 1981, its not bad going really.

I await the first proper HSL in the USA with interest, even though I doubt it will happen in my lifetime.

The mistake you make is to assume Europe is all one country...... The French will always look after themselves, same as everyone else does
I'm well aware that Europe is not one country—or, to put it more accurately, that there is no single, continent-wide European railway system. What that has to do with this article, however, is beyond me.

Back